Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 13-ay0003nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Given that this laptop is an AMD model, the USB-C port is not a Thunderbolt. But in specification (product manual) it says that the (only) USB-C port support Power delivery. However, when I try to charge the laptop when it is operating (working in Windows) it gives me an error. Only when the laptop is fully turned off and connected to the Samsung S20 charger, does it display the charging orange LED next to the power chord output.

How can I overcome this? How can I supply electricity to my HP Envy over USB-C PD using a Samsung Super Fast (model Samsung EP-TA800) charger. I have a vague idea that the problem may be related to the fact that a 15 W charger may not supply enough electricity to even run the laptop, but it would still significantly decrease battery discharge, so what takes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dg12well wrote:

I have a vague idea that the problem may be related to the fact that a 15 W charger may not supply enough electricity to even run the laptop, but it would still significantly decrease battery discharge, so what takes?

You are correct. Please do not use your phone charger to charge your laptop as it may potentially damage either your laptop or the phone charger.

You will need to purchase a separate 60+W USB-C charger if you really wish to charge the device through USB-C. HP has options but reputable, third-party options also theoretically work.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@dg12well wrote:

I have a vague idea that the problem may be related to the fact that a 15 W charger may not supply enough electricity to even run the laptop, but it would still significantly decrease battery discharge, so what takes?

You are correct. Please do not use your phone charger to charge your laptop as it may potentially damage either your laptop or the phone charger.

You will need to purchase a separate 60+W USB-C charger if you really wish to charge the device through USB-C. HP has options but reputable, third-party options also theoretically work.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I have independently already ordered a 65 W usb-c charger. But thank you very much for confirming my thoughts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.