Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@hchen42 wrote:

Thanks, I pried it open.  Minimal damage. 🙂

Looks like 2280 form factor and pcie.  I am going to check if I can pick one ssd up at local microcenter or best buy just to test it out.

The Best Buy in my town doesn't have any M.2 SSD in stock, and many of the regular employees don't even know that it exists. If you have friends in Geek Squad, I suggest you ask them, otherwise, I doubt the regular Geek Squad will give you a ton of free advice.

HP Recommended

@rthorng1 wrote:

The Best Buy in my town doesn't have any M.2 SSD in stock, and many of the regular employees don't even know that it exists. If you have friends in Geek Squad, I suggest you ask them, otherwise, I doubt the regular Geek Squad will give you a ton of free advice.

I see your point.  I better do more research.  Takes me about 45 minutes to get to my local microcenter.  Best Buy is about 20 minutes walk.  I don't understand why HP is making all these tough to understand.

HP Recommended

pls do let us know how it goes 

BTW i think itsMSATA (the image posted by rthorng1 says it is msata interface)and not PCI-E. There is a difference , this link clearly explains it all.

HP Recommended

Based on this link, I'll focus on the m keyed for latest pcie ssd.

HP Recommended

Dude PCI-E and SATA are interface protocols. This laptop only supports SATA(thats what it says next to the port on the image posted by rthorng1).original.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm also bought the same laptop model and wonder which M.2 ssd i can instal in addition to 1TB hdd. 

Crucial compatability site say that laptop supports only M.2 2280 mx200 500GB model which is for me an overkill. I just want additional SSD of ~240 GB and I wonder if a newer crucial MX300 (Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive - CT275MX300SSD4) will fit in.

HP Recommended

@CrazyTaz wrote:

Dude PCI-E and SATA are interface protocols. This laptop only supports SATA(thats what it says next to the port on the image posted by rthorng1).original.jpg

Fully understood.  However, I am going to try anyway.  I am going to see if I can find time to get out to microcenter.  They have intel 600p series 256GB for $70 + NYC tax.  I'll try that.  If that doesn't work, then I'll return it.  Pretty sad and pathetic that not one single HP support can answer this question.

HP Recommended

Hi, Were you able to add the m.2 sata drive? I got the same PC, and looking to upgrade. I would like to add the additional drive if possible for the OS.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi, Were you able to add the m.2 sata drive? I got the same PC, and looking to upgrade. I would like to add the additional drive if possible for the OS.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@hchen42 wrote:

@CrazyTaz wrote:

Dude PCI-E and SATA are interface protocols. This laptop only supports SATA(thats what it says next to the port on the image posted by rthorng1).

Fully understood.  However, I am going to try anyway.  I am going to see if I can find time to get out to microcenter.  They have intel 600p series 256GB for $70 + NYC tax.  I'll try that.  If that doesn't work, then I'll return it.  Pretty sad and pathetic that not one single HP support can answer this question.

As rthorng1 has suspected from his first post and my posts, we thought this is more pcie slot than a msata slot.  I went to Microcenter this morning, and purchased an Intel Pro6 series 256 GB SSD(cost $69.99 where it's $75+ at Newegg and Amazon, though I did have to pay NYC tax).  The laptop recognizes the SSD with a simple test.  Below are Screens shots of the ssd drive (chip) and laptop recognizing the hard drive.  Will perform the transfer OS onto this drive tmw. 

BTW, the Microcenter sales guy was great.  I asked him about msata drive and he gave me one that was different.  Then I showed him the pictures from rthorng1 here then he confirmed pci-e should work.  He believes those with bkey/mkey will work as well (those you see with two notches) - no gurantee though.  I decided to purchase the Intel as the SSD spec claims 1.5 GBps read.   Will report back here after I install OS. 

Once again, HP support is a total disappointment.  Given how much time I spent (wasted) browsing, looking for specs which HP support could answer in 5 seconds.  I will write a severe lack of support review on HP soon.  Shame on me for buying another HP.  I should have learned not to trust/rely on HP support when I purchased DV7-6163us laptop over 5.5 years ago.  Though HP quality is pretty good.  I have two HP laptops , and both are still running strong (one the aforementioned and another running 4 years).

Link to SSD at Microcenter.

Picture before I install my SSD.  I unplugged the HHD.  Hence, no HD.

NoDriveInstall.jpg

chip-front.jpg

Note, the "PCI-Express". 

chip-back.jpgdrive-after.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.