Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

What was the error with the display? I have the same driver concern with a clean install. I'd much rather have a clean install if I knew everything would work. It's been years since I bought a machine that wasn't free of bloatware. 

So the EaseUS clone worked, but in order to boot to the ssd, I have to interupt the boot with the esc key, choose f9 to select the boot device, and select ssd. Using f10 to enter the bios, it won't let me change the boot device permanently. I can highlight the ssd, but nothing happens when I hit enter.

I removed the hdd, and then it booted from the ssd just fine! Great! But then when I put the hdd back in, it still booted from the ssd, but  couldn't see the hdd. **bleep**?!?

So then I took out the ssd and put the hdd back in, and it booted to the hdd just fine. 

Next I added the m.2 ssd back in, and started it up.  It booted to the hdd, as expected. But now, the primary partition on the ssd shows as the A: drive in windows, and the recovery partition on the ssd is the b: drive! 

I tried the bios again. It still won't let me make the ssd the primary boot device when both drives are in there. This seems to be the most limited bios I've worked with in a really long time, too. I'm not impressed with that.

I wonder if hp support is going to be any help at all. *sigh*

I think my next step is going to be a clean windows install to the ssd. If everything works, I'll throw my spare 2.5" drive in the main bay and make sure I can use that too, and set aside the stock drive until I'm confident the machine is stable.

HP Recommended
Simple solution to having the computer not boot up from the other drive, delete the boot partition from the other drive. It'll have no choice but to boot from the m.2
HP Recommended

Hi guys i have followed all the posts. I actually purchased this same laptop and i have the same msata slot when i opened its back. But my version is corei5 one. As concluded by many users that it is a m2 pcie slot. In regards to this iam planning on buying samsung 960pro nvme pcie ssd and it claims speed upto 3500mb read. Guys will this ssd work?Question1

Q2 How much speeds are you guys getting on pcie ssd please post ur speed test results. Thankyou will appreciate ur answers.

HP Recommended

Brother i would like to see your speed test results please post them. You are using pcie ssd i want to see the speed test result,because iam also buying pcie ssd just on your experience.

HP Recommended

Screenshot (13).png

Iam using the same envy x360 and this is speccy app for looking at hardware. Look at the bottom there is pcie slot 4 lane not in use i think our ssd pcie slot is 4 lane but i dont know weather it is pcie2.0*4 or 3.0*4

HP Recommended

"Simple solution to having the computer not boot up from the other drive, delete the boot partition from the other drive"

So far every time I boot to the ssd, Windows can't see the hdd at all.

If you go into the bios using f10, does it allow you to change the primary boot drive? When I go in there, I can't change the value. If I want to boot off the ssd, I have to remove the hd and boot it. But then when I put the hd back in, windows won't see it at all.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if there's something crazy going on with my bios.

HP Recommended

ssdboy, your image isn't showing up. What app were you using?

Edit: image hadn't been moderated yet, showing now

HP Recommended

@ssdboy wrote:

Brother i would like to see your speed test results please post them. You are using pcie ssd i want to see the speed test result,because iam also buying pcie ssd just on your experience.

You kow any tool to do that?

HP Recommended

@chaoticlife wrote:

What was the error with the display? I have the same driver concern with a clean install. I'd much rather have a clean install if I knew everything would work. It's been years since I bought a machine that wasn't free of bloatware. 

I wonder if hp support is going to be any help at all. *sigh*

With clean install, I received a display error.  Installing the display driver got rid off it.  I also install the chipset driver.  My concern is that I am not sure if it installed properly or not.  HP Tech support suck, and there are no drivers page on HP, and they have been hush hush here.  I had to pull the drivers from the original drive (under swsetup or a directory that starts with sw).  Everything just seem to work and look fine.  I think I got lucky as I didn't have to choose which drive to boot, it just automatically boots into SSD.  
I am still debating if I should go back to clean install.  There are too many bloatware. 
HP Recommended

Disabling secure boot seems to have done the trick for letting me see the hd when booted to the ssd.

I don't want to delete the boot partition off of the hd yet because I'm seeing so much screwy behavior in the bios (unable to change boot order, in particular).

If someone else could try the following, I'd be grateful.

1. Boot to the bios

2. Go to system configuration -> boot options -> OS boot manager 

3. Select whichever drive is not the current boot option and hit enter to see if it changes.

When I do this, hitting enter doesn't do anything. I can't make it select the ssd as primary boot device, I have to either use the f9 option at startup each time, or remove the hd to make it boot automatically to the ssd.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.