Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Congrats. I don't think many companies make B key ssds, though. I tried a search and it's usually m or m+b. Bkey related items seem to be hardware adapters.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know if the Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 Series PCI-Express 3.0 would work in this laptop?  That one has highest read/write speeds I've seen.

HP Recommended

@SouthFLSteve wrote:

Does anyone know if the Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 Series PCI-Express 3.0 would work in this laptop?  That one has highest read/write speeds I've seen.

It should work.  Based on all the posts and research, this HP laptop supports that latest (Nov 2016) standards and that include PCIE 3.0.  I would buy from a place that allow you to return the drive though.... Just in case.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I agree it should work.  Should and does are two different things though and even if it does work it might not be able to hit the speeds stated in the specs.  So I am very much interested in finding out if it works and how well it works before dropping such a large amount of cash on an SSD.  I also notice there is a 960 PRO version that has even higher read/write speeds!  Really hoping someone brave enough to take the plunge would post their experiences here with either the 950 or 960 Pro Samsung SSDs.

HP Recommended

Guys as we know history of hp they limit their customers in every way.For example usb c ports in hp laptops are locked for razer core . I am skeptical about the bios update available f.21. Maybe it will limit the use of SSD port so be careful I thought I should get it out.

HP Recommended

They're not going to block the use of the m.2 port. They sell laptops with NVMe drives in those ports.

HP Recommended

Any ssd m.2 keyed with M&B keyed at 2280 length will work and fit. The trick is copying over windows after it is installed and getting it to boot up with the ssd instead. The actual taking apart of the back panel is a piece of cake.

HP Recommended

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that I am getting the M6-aq105dx tomorrow! I've got a Crucial X300 (275Gb) on order, due to be delivered on Thur.  I'll let you know how it goes and maybe I will need help moving the OS over.

HP Recommended

@hchen42 wrote:

@chaoticlife wrote:

Disregard my last post, I've just started figuring out m.2 slots and drives, and I was confused.

m.2 pcie 2.0 interface can be either x2 or x4 (either 2 lanes or 4).

m.2 pcie 3.0 should support x4.

Puget systems provides a good description of the connectors and the logical interfaces here.

None of that helps with figuring out what the slot on the aq105dx supports, though.

Good find.  If anything, after I have done a clean install of windows 10 on sunday, the laptop booted up in about 1.5 second.  I power up and I see the HP logo for about a second and it shows the windows login screen.    I will check the laptop once I get home.  Maybe it'll show up in device manager or bios.

@hey @hchen42, how do you go about doing a clean install on the new SSD? Does the laptop come with Windows 10 disks or what method did you use?

Did you reformat the 1TB HDD following the install on the SSD?

Best,

Kal

HP Recommended

@KaLhHp16 wrote:

@hey @hchen42, how do you go about doing a clean install on the new SSD? Does the laptop come with Windows 10 disks or what method did you use?

Did you reformat the 1TB HDD following the install on the SSD?

Best,

Kal

Win10 disk does not come with it the machine.  Microsoft gives you that tool now.

Preparation:

1. (optional) backup image of the 1TB hard drive that comes with the machine. You may use Acronis or EaseUS.  You don't have to do this step.  For me , this is the best way to restore your machine to factory original state.  
  2. Obtain a 16GB USB flash drive. You need this to install Windows 10 drive.
  3. Boot up the laptop (or you can use another Win10 machine).  Follow this microsoft link.  This tool will create a Windows 10 install disk on the 16GB USB drive.  Note, check with version of windows you have.  HP's latest drivers require v1607 and above.
  4. Goto HP support and download the latest drivers.   HP has two sets of drivers, one for v1607 and one for version below 1607.  Copy the drivers to the USB drive.
  5. Boot up from the USB drive (shut down machine, turn on, press esc, until you see a menu , select the boot menu option...)
  6. Follow instructions to install Windows 10.
  7. If all goes well, it should boot into the SSD drive.  If it boots into the 1TB HD, restart the computer, and go into bios and change the boot order (use f5/f6 to change value).
  8. Once you successfully boot up from SSD drive, install all the drivers.  I typically install the chipsets drivers first.  I will give you a headup, I have not been able to reinstall Cyberlink PowerDirector.  That's the only software that seems to have failed.   I've also skipped installing the diagnostic (uefi) tool.
  9. Once you are happy with the setup, you can  use disk manager to determine what you want to do with the 1TB drive.  You could reformat or just leave it alone.

Good luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.