Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 2500U)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Okay - so...

I have an HP x360 (The Ryzen 2500U  / Vega 8 APU model).

It is updated to the latest BIOS revision, the revision is f.35

Anyway - After about 10 minutes of gaming on this platform I notice the performance drops considerably! I could be playing a game that will be playing at 60FPS, and after about 10 minutes, it drops down to 17fps! That's a HUGE drop in performance!

This laptop is a performance laptop with gaming hardware.  The Ryzen APU is a chipset made for midrange multimedia and gaming.

I also tested this with a game from 2002 (something that would be considered a very light performance load in 2019 standards) and after about 10 minutes the machine throttles back hard and STAYS that way! It never recovers! Even if the temperatures go down to a nice level (in the 50's or below).

Is there any solution out there at all to make the x360 stop throttling no matter what load I throw at it? I purchased this machine to be a performance-based machine for my game design and animation! 😞

I really hope HP didn't gimp the machine completely with this kind of hardware running in it,  I really want to use it for my client work, but if it's doing this without any solution, I'll have to get rid of it.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Ret80 Welcome to HP Forums Community!

Here's a video on how to disable the "turbo mode" that causes this issue: Click here

If you aren't able to disable it permanently, use the below steps:

Navigate to this folder:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static
  • Find CCC.exe, right click>properties>compatibility tab
  • Tick the 'run this program as an administrator' option and hit ok.
  • Do the same thing for MOM.exe

You may have to restart the PC for the changes to take effect, then try disabling overdrive, restart the game to see if it fixes it.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.