Did you mean: 
dawatcher Top Student
Top Student
2 1 1 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Envy x360 Ryzen 5 2500U (15.6" ver) - running at 0.38GHz - why?

HP ENVY x360 - 15-cp0598sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning,

Spoiler alert - Apologies for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough and give you all the facts the best I could.

On Tuesday evening I used my laptop and everything was running as normal with no hint of an issue. On Wednesday when I booted it seemed fine for about a minute or so then the fans went to what sounds like full power and have stayed there since. At the same time it seemed to really slow down so I ran Task Manager and selected the "Performance" tab and was shocked to see it reporting a speed of 0.38GHz (which does not fluctuate)! Imagine trying to do anything on a 380MHz PC - not fun. This performance was even in evidence when I did the Factory Restore - see more below.

Let me first say that my laptop almost exclusively runs on mains power (did try on battery as well to see if anything changed - nope), because when I looked into the issue further I found reports stating the exact same symptoms down to the same speed (0.38GHz) when running on battery. In addition, there were a few suggestions which worked for other people with the issue, alongside the results of my own troubleshooting including:

Running Anti-Virus

(Had latest Norton Internet Security - ran full scan - nothing found)

Running HP Diagnostics

(Did that, no issues found)

Going to Device Manager and updating the System Firmware Driver

(Did that and it found updated drivers which were installed, rebooted, ran at normal speed for less than a minute on the desktop before the issue re-asserted itself and remains)

Changing the Power Plan

(Did this via HP Command Centre, no change)

Changing the Power Plan Advanced Settings - Processor Power Management - Min/Max putting all 4 values to 100%

(Did that, rebooted, no change)

Perform Factory Restore

(Did that, rebooted, no change - longest 8 hours of my life, seriously that is how long it took!)

Looked for new drivers/BIOS

(Ran HP Support Assistant - listed a new BIOS F.42 rev A, currently running F.35, the HP tool then said it was no longer needed and removed it from the list, updated everything else it suggested including AMD drivers - reboot - no change)

Ran Windows Update several times

(Still no change)

Currently upgrading to Win10 build 1903 to see if it makes any difference although I do not believe it will, especially taking into account how long it will take at 380MHz.

Between the system running fine on the Tuesday and the nosedive on Wednesday, there were no hardware or software changes.

When I saw the reports of similar issues I was hopeful of a solution, but as stated above they all concern people running on battery, not mains so early hope gave way to disappointment and concern, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone in this great community can shed some light on this issue.

My thanks in advance for taking the time to make it through my post and for any insights,

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
dawatcher Top Student
Top Student
2 1 1 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Envy x360 Ryzen 5 2500U (15.6" ver) - running at 0.38GHz - why?

Quick update,

After a number of hours build 1903 installed, so I ran HP Support Assistant again and checked for updates.

The new BIOS option re-appeared, so I installed it.

Initially, it did not appear to fix the issue, but after shutting the laptop down for a while and turning it on again it is running beautifully again so it would suggest the new BIOS fixed the issue, although why it is specific to build 1903 is anyone's guess.

Hope my journey can be useful to anyone else experiencing this issue. Will mark as solved once system has been stable for 24hrs just in case.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation