cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Fan Constantly Running Even After Updates and Adjustments

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought this computer brand new last week.

The fan is constantly spinning at either a low speed or high speed and never seems to rest.  The fans emits a quiet or very audible high pitched noise while spinning which is becoming increasingly annoying each day.

Support said I need to update the BIOS, which I did.  No fix.

I read on another thread to change the setting during bootup "Fan Always On" to <Disabled>.  It was previously Enabled.

Again, no fix.

My 2012 MacBook Pro can go hours without the fan even turning on once.  I hope this new line of HP's aren't so sensitive that the fan constantly needs to run.  This is my work PC, so I'm going to be on it for hours at a time per day.  I refuse to deal with this high pitch noise emitted from the fan or even the fan spinning all day in general

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 6
424 424 28 72
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

What I would recommend is contacting HP to see what your options are regarding service. Perhaps the bearing of the fan is faulty or the cooling paste might need replacing.

You could also try using a can of compressed air to blow out any dust from the inside. Dust and hair is everywhere.

As a side note, I find it amusing how you're trying to compare a budget student laptop to an apple product that you most likely paid over a thousand dollars for.

If you intend to use something for work, buy a business product.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mlp/business-solutions/laptops-and-workstations

They have much higher quality builds, better support options and many of them are manufactured at the same factory as Apple products.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should have specified that I did not buy this product for work.....my company did.  We now use the 2-1 convertible laptops because we run an app to model our software to clients in tablet mode.

Secondly, the thechnology in a 2012 Mac Book Pro to a 2018 HP should be inferior considering how much tech changes year-by-year.  My girlfriend has an even cheaper version (2017 HP) of this HP which is dead silent at all times.

I do not have final say on which products we use for work, however a suggestion to my superiors wouldn't be ingored.  Something in a reasonable price range under $1k.

Lastly, I can not afford to just ship my computer to a manufacture and wait possibly weeks for repair.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
424 424 28 72
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again,

I am aware most people who use their PC for work are not able to have it shipped for 1-2 weeks, that is why I recommended some of their business products as HP offers on-site repair for them.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
725 700 9 59
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the fans can run full time.

it's not a MAC, sorry,  (apples and oranges , rules)

the fan spins to keep at least 2 hottest chips cool.

and guess what, the hotter chips are faster,  and need more cooling. (so the year built has zero to do with heat)

It is true some faster chips (even that intel processor) can faster with less heat.  So buy a PC with that if you need fast.

clean out the lint yet? all vents and the fan port.

they do sell slient PCs.  they are not cheap.

if the vents are clear and the thermal compounds not damaged on the CPU/GPU, (dropped the PC can do that)

then Id say the fan issue is normal.

All my PC every one, move AIR 24/7 turned on , or overheat.

every one.

some new PCs say top laptops, only blow on hot days on the beach, you there,  or runnign games.

or running applications that use lots of CPU/GPU speed, like CAD/CAM software and the like.

cheers, Im not HP

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation