02-20-2011 07:06 PM
I've had my laptop for over a year and never had a single problem with it. I noticed about 2-3 weeks ago (I think right after I updated my BIOS), that on startup, the caps and num lock lights blink once, and then my laptop starts up as usual. I checked the blink codes and 1 blink is supposed to mean CPU not functioning, but how can that be possible if everything works fine? Is this a serious issue that I need to worry about or is there anything I can do to fix it?
02-20-2011 10:37 PM
Not that I know of. The laptop I had before this one was a Dell that would always overheat, and the one I have now doesn't get nearly as hot and has never shut down because of overheating. It does get pretty warm from the bottom though.
02-21-2011 08:51 PM
I would suggest you a hard reset to the machine.
1. Disconnect the power adapter.
2. Remove the battery
3. Remove the memory modules
Hold the power button for 30 secs
4. Install the memory modules
5. Connect the battery
See if the blinking stops.
Kindly post results
02-21-2011 09:47 PM - edited 02-21-2011 09:56 PM
Sorry for the stupid question but, what do you mean by memory modules?
And what exactly does a hard reset do? Is this going to erase any of my files?
02-22-2011 10:20 AM
Hard reset does not delete or erase anything.
Memory modules are the memory installed in the machine. If you trouble removing it , you could try the reset without removing them.
Let me know if you have any questions
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code
- HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop
- HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)
- HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot