Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ec0016nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! I would appreciate any help or insight into installation of additional SSD drive to HP Gaming Pavilion15-ec0016nm. It comes with 250gb M.2 SSD inside, but  I need more space. I would like to install a classic 2.5" SATA3 SSD. I can see designated space where the disk should fit, but there is no SATA cable to connect it to the motherboard. Also, there are no brackets to keep it in place. Are these parts obtainable from HP or somewhere else? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the story from the Service Manual:

(5) Hard drive connector cable L72698-001

(6) Hard drive bracket (not available as spare part)

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

Pages 33 and 34 show the hard drive assembly. 

Here is the cable from a seller in New Zealand:

https://acquire.co.nz/p/hp/miscellaneous/sps-hdd-cable-l72698-001-5614602/

The bracket is not sold as a spare part but you could fabricate something that would work. 

Frankly its much easier to just replace the 256 gig M.2 with one of larger capacity. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the story from the Service Manual:

(5) Hard drive connector cable L72698-001

(6) Hard drive bracket (not available as spare part)

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

Pages 33 and 34 show the hard drive assembly. 

Here is the cable from a seller in New Zealand:

https://acquire.co.nz/p/hp/miscellaneous/sps-hdd-cable-l72698-001-5614602/

The bracket is not sold as a spare part but you could fabricate something that would work. 

Frankly its much easier to just replace the 256 gig M.2 with one of larger capacity. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your informative response! The thing is, I already have an SSD disk and when I bought the notebook I assumed it would be an easy installation. I see now I was wrong. Buying another M.2 SSD is not an option right now, and it would only leave me with two disks I can not utilize. The link you provided is out of stock, and I can not find the SATA cable anywhere else... is there a chance that some other model would fit? Maybe if all Pavilion 15 cables and brackets are identical/similar?

HP Recommended

It would be a gamble to try another cable. You can find generic rubber hard drive bumpers on eBay that would work to mount the drive inside the laptop and hold it fast but there has been mixed success trying to use hard drive attachment cables from other models. The part numbers beginning with "L" just seem to be very elusive. If you want to risk it, try to find another HP Pavilion hard drive cable that looks as similar as possible to the one I linked (assuming that is even an actual picture of the product). HP publishes no cross-fit manual to document that other types will work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.