Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15s-eq1125nw Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I purchased an HP 15s-eq1125nw Laptop in Poland, which should include 8 GB DDR4-2666 MHz RAM memory in dual channel configuration (2 × 4 GB module). Since the processor, the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U, natively supports 3200 MHz memory, I thought that the laptop was limited by the max speed of the module (2666 MHz)

However, on the device I received, I was surprised to discover that it actually came with only one 8 GB DDR4-3200 MHz module (part number: 4ATF1G64HZ-3G2E2), rather than the advertised two 4 GB DDR4-2666 MHz modules. Essentially, this downgrades the dual channel memory configuration to a single channel one, losing 50% of the advertised bandwidth, which is particularly devastating to Ryzen processors and their integrated Vega graphics since they rely heavily on the wider memory provided by the dual channel memory configuration.

Furthermore, and perhaps more troubling, even with a 3200 MHz module factory-installed and the processor natively supporting 3200 MHz module, the system still runs at 2666 MHz. The memory speed setting cannot be modified in BIOS. This means not only I lost half of the available memory bandwidth, but I cannot even make up the loss in bandwidth through higher memory speed.

Capture.PNG

These findings present a few unanswered questions:

a) why I received a different, inferior configuration compared to the manufacturer-listed specification?

b) why the system refuses to run at a higher memory speed and disallow changes to be made in BIOS, even though both memory modules and the processor supports a higher rated memory speed?

While I can certainly pay with my own fund to purchase a compatible module to set up a dual channel configuration, the inability to run the memory at a higher speed just because of a missing BIOS/firmware feature is certainly a tough pill to swallow.

I hope both of problems can be addressed, first one through exchanging the single module for two modules (or alternatively provide an opportunity to purchase an identical module) and latter one through a BIOS update to unlock the memory speed selection (or just allow the memory to run faster).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.