Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 17-by2025ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Dear Sirs!
I have a Question about upgarde my Notebook 17-by2025ur
1. Can the RAM be upgraded from 8 gb to 16 gb. Do I need to purchase 16 gb RAM or 8 gb

2. The currently installed SSD is 256 gb. Can this be upgraded further (to 1 tb)?
Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, HP only has the maintenance and service guide for the older 17-by1xxx model series on your notebook's support page.

HP 17-by2000 Laptop PC series Manuals | HP® Customer Support

The old manual indicates that notebooks with the Pentium processors have one memory slot and max memory is 1 x 8 GB.

But I think the newer notebooks with the Intel® Pentium® Gold 6405U processors may have two memory slots and can support at least 2 x 16 GB of DDR4-2400 memory.

Intel® Pentium® Gold 6405U Processor

In the absence of an up-to-date service manual, I recommend that you do this to see how much memory your notebook can actually support:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

For the SSD:  The drive capacities listed in the service manual are normally just what HP offered in the model series, not the maximum capacity supported.

I see no reason why you couldn't install a 1 TB NVMe SSD in your notebook.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, HP only has the maintenance and service guide for the older 17-by1xxx model series on your notebook's support page.

HP 17-by2000 Laptop PC series Manuals | HP® Customer Support

The old manual indicates that notebooks with the Pentium processors have one memory slot and max memory is 1 x 8 GB.

But I think the newer notebooks with the Intel® Pentium® Gold 6405U processors may have two memory slots and can support at least 2 x 16 GB of DDR4-2400 memory.

Intel® Pentium® Gold 6405U Processor

In the absence of an up-to-date service manual, I recommend that you do this to see how much memory your notebook can actually support:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

For the SSD:  The drive capacities listed in the service manual are normally just what HP offered in the model series, not the maximum capacity supported.

I see no reason why you couldn't install a 1 TB NVMe SSD in your notebook.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul_Tikkanen!
Thank You for answer an step by step recommendations.

"But I think the newer notebooks with the Intel® Pentium® Gold 6405U processors may have two memory slots and can support at least 2 x 16 GB of DDR4-2400 memory."

I think, that You are absolutly right - CPU ID displayed two slots for memory.
The wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx command returm next result:
MaxCapacityEx
33554432:1048576=32

Memory_4.jpgMemory_3.jpg

I think, what i can buy 2x16 gB of memory.

About type of memory...
CPU ID Distplayed that size of Memory are 8GB DDR4 3200mHz CL 17 clocks, but on SPDTab CL is 22.
And I have a question, what type of memmory needed for buy mee
DDR4 3200 with CL 22
or
DDR4 2400 with CL 17?

Memory_1.jpg

Am I Right, that the memory need by only the made by cruciar or not? (For examle Kingston or trancend). That You recommendate?

About SSD.

Am i right, that i ca buy SSD 1 tB (any vendor (now installed Hynix BC511 HFM256GDJTNI-82A0A)) 
Size 2280
Interface PCI-E 4,0 х 4
Type of M2 M
3 bits TLC?

Thank You!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I recommend that you install DDR4-3200 memory since that is what HP installed.

The reason they did is because that is probably the memory they had on hand at the time during the assembly process and nowadays DDR4-3200 memory is generally less expensive than DDR4-2400 memory which is the fastest speed your notebook's processor can run the memory at.

This would be the 16 GB memory bar I recommend for your notebook if you can get it in the Russian Federation.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA32A | Crucial EU

What is good about this memory is it is also made by Micron.

Crucial is the retail division of Micron.

This memory will automatically bridge to 2400 MHz and CL17.

SSD:

Yes, if you want to install a 1 TB SSD, that would be fine, but unless you plan on moving it to a newer notebook or desktop PC one day that supports a PCIe Gen 4 x 4 SSD, I would buy the less expensive PCIe Gen 3 x 4 because your notebook's M.2 slot is only PCIe Gen 2 according to the Intel processor specs I posted.

Look under the Expansion Options specification.

That surprises me that it is only 2.0.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul Tikkanen!
Thank You for answers and recommendations.
In Russion Federarations I can find this ones for upgrade:
Memory:
CT16G4SFRA32A X 2

SSD:
CT1000P2SSD8

I does't have a plans for move tis SSD to PC.

Thank You verry mutch!
Regards,
Boris.

HP Recommended

Anytime, Boris.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.