Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - m6-w102dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has been making a wierd humming/buzzing noise since last Wednesday. The noise emits from somewhere around the lower right area. If I tilt the laptop to its side, or enable tablet mode, the sound disappears. As soon as it goes back to default position, with the bottom of the laptop flat on a surface, the noise comes back. I ran the hard drive diagnostics, both quick and extended, and it says it passed. It gets really annoying when I'm in a library, and having to use it in tablet mode. It is also louder than the fans.

The sound it makes (I moved the laptop up and down to emphasize):  http://vocaroo.com/i/s1zJeHdt1yB7

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Maxad2112,

The noise that you hear from the laptop could be due to a problem with the laptop fan. Is your laptop still under warranty? If so, please advise with a PC company authorized by the laptop's manufacturer to repair it.

Since you said that the hard drive didn't present any issues, is that correct? Also, are you having any problems with the laptop usage except the noise? Is there any heat?

If not, then I think, a fan diagnostic could do the job.

Cheers.

Western Digital representative
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the warranty expired earlier this month. No other problems with the laptop, after a bit more updates it runs just like the day I bought it, and there is no heat emitting from the laptop. Just the noise is the problem with the laptop.  But how can it be a fan, because the fan is at the upper-mid left side of the laptop, unless there is another one at the bottom right?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi again,

Well, it depends on the laptop model that you have, there could be another fan. Also, no matter that the hard drive has passed the tests and it's obvious that it works, there could be some screws that must be tightened up. It applies to the laptop fan too.

Because I am not very familiar with the tech. specs of the portable PC, my advice is to bring it to a laptop technician in order to get the equipment tested.

Good luck!

Western Digital representative
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.