Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have an hp 15-cx0056wm, which has the following processor.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134876/intel-core-i58300h-processor-8m-cache-up...

This question appears to have already been answered in the below thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-15-cx0056wm-max-su...

However, according to INTEL, this processor can handle 64GB of RAM.

I've already got two sticks of 8GB SO-DIMM 3200 running on the laptop, I am aware the frequency scales down, and I'm fine with that, I just need the RAM for 3d modeling, is there any reason I can't install 2 sticks of 32GB SO-DIMM 3200 on it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't 100% rely on the Intel processor specs.

The 64 GB may be for notebooks that have 4 memory slots such as the mobile workstations have.

The PC's BIOS may limit how much memory the notebook can support.

The Crucial memory report indicates that 2 x 16 GB is the max.

HP - Compaq Pavilion Gaming 15-cx0056wm | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

But if you want to be reasonably sure how much memory you can install in your notebook, you can do this:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't 100% rely on the Intel processor specs.

The 64 GB may be for notebooks that have 4 memory slots such as the mobile workstations have.

The PC's BIOS may limit how much memory the notebook can support.

The Crucial memory report indicates that 2 x 16 GB is the max.

HP - Compaq Pavilion Gaming 15-cx0056wm | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

But if you want to be reasonably sure how much memory you can install in your notebook, you can do this:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.