Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just updated my windows to 1909, and since then my track pad has been erratic, thinking there is more than one finger, mouse is laggy, etc. The hp site says that the driver is optimized for 1903, and ive tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and get the message that my driver is incompatible with windows. This basically renders the track pad useless, and quite annoying to try and use. Driver is elan 21.2.23.2 Rev.A from hp. Ive also tried to adjust sensitivity and palm tracking to no avail. Is there a better driver or do I have to rely on hp to come out with a fix (not impressed so far with the service there)

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Dmark1
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Firstly, perform Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

Next step, BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. Once it's done uninstall the Touchpad device,

Next, uninstall Touchpad device from device manager.

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and choose Device Manager on it. 
  2. In the device manager, expand category "Mice and other pointing devices". 
  3. Under this category, right-click on your Synaptics Touchpad driver and click on Uninstall. 
  4. You may be required to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to "Delete the driver software for this device" and click OK button. 
  5. Restart your PC for the change to take effect. After restarting. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver. 
  6. Do not perform any manual upgrades to the driver until it does automatically 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried all the steps, when I redownload the driver, it comes up as incompatable with windows 10, and when I just leave it uninstalled, it is no better, kind of at the end of my rope, can't believe that hp wouldnt update the driver, quite annoying.

HP Recommended

Also my product number is 4BQ89UA#ABL

HP Recommended

@Dmark1,

I recommend you download and install the driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96001-96500/sp96444.exe

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Screenshot (41).png

This is what comes up when I reinstall the touchpad driver

HP Recommended

@Dmark1,

I recommend you install all the Windows updates (Including optional) and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Windows Update.
  4. Click the Check for updates button.
  5. Click the Download and install now button.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All of my programs and drivers are as up to date as possible, my computer is running windows 1909, nothing comes up on the windows updater or hp support assistant. Is there a different, compatible mouse driver with my computer that would work?

HP Recommended

@Dmark1,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.