Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Notebook 2000 won't boot from internal hard drive, but boots externally

Notebook 2000
Other

I have encountered a very frustrating issue. I will add all the details or issues to the best of my ability, hopefully someone understands the issue and can be of help.

I have a HP Notebook 2000, originally a Windows 8 machine. I had some old computers laying around and figured I could try installing Linux on an old hard disk and have it as a drive to explore Linux and learn the operating system.

I burned the ISO onto a USB, booted from USB no trouble, installed the OS to the old hard drive with no issues and everything worked out. Shortly after the hard disk drive became a "read only file system" and I did a little research on the error message (I do not remember it exactly) and discovered it is caused by an old, faulty, damaged or failing hard drive. No big deal, the hard disk was from an old computer that likely had virus(es) and malware so I was not worried that the drive was no good.

I removed the old hard disk with the new Linux install and returned the original notebook hard disk. When I attempted to boot the OS, I got an error message stating:

"SMART Hard Disk Error

The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

Hard Disk 1 (301)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup"

I was very worried because I had no previous trouble with the original hard drive and it contained all my files and data. I had no backup either. So I removed the hard disk, connected it to an external hard disk drive dock and connected it via USB.

Now at the boot menu I selected "USB Storage device xxxGB Western Digital" and it booted up with no trouble, I logged in to my account and everything was fine. To make sure the drive was okay, I connected it to another computer and it booted up with no trouble again, the OS ran without any issues so I figured there was an issue with the Notebook 2000.

What could be the issue here? The hard drive is perfectly fine-it boots when connected externally via USB enclosure. It also boots on different computers. Is it possibly BIOS failure or corruption caused by the old faulty hard drive?

Figuring it was probably a BIOS issue I downloaded the BIOS update for my model from the official HP website. Used the HP system BIOS Update Utility to create a USB recovery flash drive. Now when I attempted to flash/update the BIOS I do not have the option to.

I followed the directions at http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833 but I do not have the option for Firmware management or BIOS management. On the startup menu I press F2 for system diagnostics, which takes me to "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI" Version 1.6.0.0-BIOS. The only options I have are Memory Test, Hard Drive Check, Language and Exit. There is no option to update BIOS from the HP_Tools USB recovery drive.

I hope this message is not too long, I tried to explain it in as much detail as I could. I have spent a full day trying to resolve the issue and have had no success, it is very frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES
Abdullah_5 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anyone have any idea? I have not been able to find any answers.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@Abdullah_5,

Thanks for stopping by HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to help.

Need assistance in fixing the boot issue on the PC. Is that, correct?

The issue appears to be a failed hard drive. I recommend you to replace the hard drive to avoid further issues on the PC.

You can use the link below to order a replacement hard drive from HP.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope the solution answers your query. Feel free to reply back for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Abdullah_5 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response, but did you not read the whole post? I said the hard drive is in working condition. It will boot if connected externally through a USB dock but will NOT boot when connected internally. I do not have money to purchase another hard drive. Especially if the original is still functioning.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey@Abdullah_5,

Thanks for the response.

This appears to be a hard drive connector issue on the motherboard on your PC.

The only solution is to replace the motherboard. You can contact HP Phone support using the link below for further assistance.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation