Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Notebook PC 15-5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I would love to know if my HP OMEN 15-5000NO is compatible with the newer Intel Wireless-AC 9260. I would like to upgrade from the 7260 that my computer currently is running.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Upgrading my Zbook 15 G3 with a 6th gen processor to this:

AC-9260 no-VproAC-9260 no-Vpro

Worked perfectly:

Device ManagerDevice Manager

So these are obviously not limited to 8th gen CPUs. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the part number for the 7260 wifi card your notebook has, it is an M.2 form factor card, so it would be a direct exchange, but I don't know if it would work or not.

The only thing that would prevent it from working is if your notebook has a BIOS whitelist, which it shouldn't have.

It's cheap enough to experiment with...You would need to get the non-VPro model...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=intel+9260&_sacat=175673&_sop=15

HP Recommended

I seem to recall reading that the AC-9260 is only compatible with 8th gen processors:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/AC-9260-Compatibility/td-p/673...

The ac 7260 is a pretty strong piece of hardware and I am not sure there is much performance improvement to be had but there is an N version of the 7260 which could be improved upon. Not sure which you have, but specs suggest you have the ac version. 

HP Recommended

This discussion indicates it worked in a PC with other than an 8th gen core processor...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Upgrading-Wi-Fi-Card-to-Intel-AC-9260...

The specific model the card worked in, has a skylake processor...

https://support.hp.com/ro-en/document/c04981816

HP Recommended

I have no knowledge one way or the other I did just have an OP have an upgrade failure trying to install a 9260 card. We thought it was a vPro issue but the laptop just would not boot with the 9260 in place and it seemed like it should be compatible. 

HP Recommended

Neither do I.

It will be up to the OP to roll the dice.

You have two discussions that say it won't work, and I found one where the guy says it will.

I do know the card will only work on W10.

At least the 15-5000 with the Intel card, already has two antenna cables installed.

HP Recommended

Agreed it would be nice to have OP feedback as to whether it worked. I have a 6th gen system Zbook 15 G3 with an AC 8260 and I may try to get my hands on an AC 92xx and see if it will upgrade. 

HP Recommended

At least with the zBook you can opt for the vPro model.

The listing I posted on eBay shows plenty of them for sale, and for not much money.

Some of the descriptions don't mention the vPro specification, so I would imagine you can buy the cheapest one you can find.

I would think the non-vPro model would work as well as the vPro model.

HP Recommended

Yes I think a non-vPro will work on a vPro platform perhaps not vice versa. Yeah I am willing to invest $25 or so in this and let the Community know if it works. If not I also have an 8th gen system I could install it in. 

HP Recommended

While the 9260 card indeed is inexpensive, it's quite difficult for me to get ahold of. That's the reason I am asking on here before buying. 

My OMEN has a 4th generation i7 (Haswell), so it's a couple years old but has held up really well.

I'm restoring and optimising my laptop and I noticed that sound over bluetooth is choppy. Having tried most software solutions including updating/uninstalling/reinstalling audio and bluetooth drivers, disabling audio enhancements and whatnot I'm still facing the same issue. So I thought perhaps changing the combined wireless/bluetooth card could alleviate the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.