Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alvarez8392
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Omen 15-ce011dx, Tunderbolt 3 capable? (wanting to upgrade to an external gpu)

HP Recommended
Omen 15-ce011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was just curious to see if this product is Tunderbolt 3 capable, I haven't been able to find information indicating if it is or if it is not. I'm wanting to upgrade to an external GPU since the included gpu (a GTX 1050) isn't exactly powerful. If it is thundbolt 3 capable, would the USB-Type C be enough to charge the notebook as well as run the GPU?

Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EddyK
Level 11
Level 11
2,953 2,888 392 1,257
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Alvarez8392,

I regret to inform you that the USB-C port on your computer is not Thunderbolt 3.

Specification documentation here.

It is labelled as "1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge)." If it was indeed a Thunderbolt 3 port, HP would market that information and there should be a downward facing lightning bolt beside your computer's USB-C port.

Hope this helps,

kem579

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I am currently preoccupied with both academic and professional priorities so please note that there may be a delay in my responses. Thank you for your understanding.

You can show your appreciation for my post by clicking the blue thumbs up icon.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
EddyK
Level 11
Level 11
2,953 2,888 392 1,257
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Alvarez8392,

I regret to inform you that the USB-C port on your computer is not Thunderbolt 3.

Specification documentation here.

It is labelled as "1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge)." If it was indeed a Thunderbolt 3 port, HP would market that information and there should be a downward facing lightning bolt beside your computer's USB-C port.

Hope this helps,

kem579

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I am currently preoccupied with both academic and professional priorities so please note that there may be a delay in my responses. Thank you for your understanding.

You can show your appreciation for my post by clicking the blue thumbs up icon.

View solution in original post

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation