Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an011nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wife's HP Omen laptop suddenly stopped charging the battery. I have tried updating the Microsoft ACPi driver, also the BIOS and nothing seems to work. I have then used the HP pc hardware diagnostics software and ran system tests which showed an error with the battery, the software couldn't diagnose the error because the battery was so empty - 0%. Before the problems began, a couple of days ago, the battery was working fine, it could be used for 2 hours or more without the charger, so I doubt that the battery just suddenly died. I have also tried charging the laptop with my charger (I have a HP Omen also) and it doesn't work either.

Any advice or possible solutions to the problem?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @PoleP .
Perform a hardware analysis, and if it shows you an error id let me know.

HP provides diagnostic software you can use to test hardware components on your computer and confirm hardware failures. The Battery Test checks your system to make sure the battery is functioning properly.
Use the following instructions to test the battery:
  1. Turn on the computer.
  2. Search for HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows, right-click the app in the search results, and then select Run as administrator.

If the app is not installed on your computer, download the latest version, go to HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures website.
  3. Click Component Tests in the main menu.

4. In the list of Component Tests, click Power.

5. Select Battery Check, and then click Run once.

6. Wait while the test is in progress. The Battery Test takes about two minutes.

7. Click Finish on the Component Tests page.

8. Select Test Logs to see the results of the battery test.

9. When the testing is done, review the test logs that display for the status or condition of the battery.

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

This is the failure ID: 94RU3D-94B9RB-MFPURA-C0EA13. I'm guessing the battery went into a state of deep discharge, but I don't know why

HP Recommended

Any possible advice other than to replace the battery and hope that it isn't due to a problem in the hardware responsible of recharging the battery?

HP Recommended

The Error Code translates as battery failure so the error comes from the battery itself. I would like to see the whole advanced output of the battery test but the evidence is overwhelming you just need to replace the battery. How old is the laptop and the battery?

HP Recommended

The laptop is around 18 months old, also days before it stopped charging the battery lasted maybe even more than 2 hours without the need to recharge, I'm finding it very hard to believe that the battery died overnight.

Last couple of days when powering on (not every time, but 50% of time) I've been getting the message " CMOS checksum is invalid" and error 502, then it "reboots" the BIOS and the computer works fine (only glitch is that the keyboard back light is turned off when windows starts, when it usually starts turned on), no problems with date or time settings. I'm getting very frustrated with this, and buying a new battery just to check if that is the problem is an expensive work around the problem since maybe the problem isn't in the battery but the part of the computer controlling the charging process.

HP Recommended

Batteries usually go out suddenly. That is not unusual at all. It would help to see the advanced output from a battery diagnostic test. That will tell us if there is a dead cell or some other overt problem with the battery. A problem with the charging circuit is not impossible but extremely unlikely. As they say in medical school, when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.