Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yes, the "SHIFT" + "INSERT" key works.  The "INSERT" key is shared by the "0" key in the alphaneumeric pad.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I`ve just bought a new HP Pavilion and now find I too cannot insert letters or words into text. On my old HP (windows  XP) there was a button on the top row which would allow me to reset this facility but this new PC doesn`t have this button and I`ve tried everything on this new one as per suggestions above without any success. Any other suggestions?  Incidentally, pardon my sheer ignorance, but which one`s the SHIFT key?

HP Recommended

Relax everyone!! Have spent quarter of an hour pressing buttons in all sorts of button combinations and resolved my problem(even worked out which one`s the SHIFT button! It`s the up pointing arrow key above the ctrl one, right?). So it`s SHIFT+ins & hey presto.

HP Recommended

Siddharth_Ka  yes

Shift + 0 key on keypad (marked INS) also worked as long as you have Num Lock turned off

With Num Lock on, I can't see any way to use the INS function on the 0 key on numeric keypad.

Previous advice to use SHIFT + FN + PRT SC to perform the tradtional Windows PASTE function of SHIFT + INS works for me.

However I want to be able to use a simple SHIFT  + INS.  This will require using a keyboard re-mapping program. I am trying out KEYTWEAK to do this.

I will then have to create a combination to restore the PRT SC function, which is also needed but doesnt' need to be on a simple single key. I prefer PRT SC to be a keyboard combo.

So I will use AutoHotKeys to create that. 

HP really should have kept a simple INS key in its keybords.  It is a standad, long-term key for Windows users.

PRT SC has traditionally been a combo.    I am new to HP and have used many Dells and other Windows computers.

HP Recommended

Took me 45 minutes and several forum searches to figure this out.  "Insert Key" doesn't appear anywhere in the User Guide, can you believe it.  INS is on the Function Key on top of "prt sc" in the tinest lettering I have ever seen.  NO other keyboard I have ever seen hides the ball in this fashion for the insert key.  If the designer of this keyboard had designed a car, he would have put the braking function as a button inside the glove box!!

For future google searchers, I am putting in these key search terms:

overstrike

insert key

insert function for keyboard

keyboard

strikeover

overstrike function

insert function

HP Recommended

Hey , It's actually very easy .

What you gotta do is just try Pressing " Right Shift KEY  _ fn _ INSERT ) all at once. 

This might work'cause i had the same problem once and just by trying some different set or combinations of keys i found this one working on mine.

I hope it'll work on yours too. 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion to use 3 keys in combination to do a simple task, like copy or paste.

However, the two-key combinations have been a part of Windows and MS Office apps since the early 1980s at least. 

Millions of people use the simple 2-key combos for simple funcitions like Copy, Cut, and Paste.  They aren't 3-key combos.   These millions of people should noto have to relearn functions that are hard-wired now into their brains. 

These 2-key combos should be the same on every Windows computer, every MS Office computer. 

People move from one computer to another every day. From home, to office, to school, to library, to friend's computer. They need to be able to do their work without having to stop and think about basic functions.   For many this is similar to moving where the Backspace key is or putting it as an keyboard combo.   There are standards to keyboard content and layouts for a good reason.  The reason is people.  

Even though computers may have slightly different keyboard layouts, the basic function keys should appear on the keyboard, naked.  The functions included INS DEL, etc.  

HP should not have taken it upon itself to remove INS from the keyboard

The fixt to this is simple as you said.  There is, thankfully, a freeware probram called KeyTweak. 

Each time you install Windows on an HP computer, get KeyTweak and remap the INS key to a relatively unused Keyboard key, right away.  I use F12 to mean INS.  It's in the right location and F12 is a key that I have never used for anything.  

HP Recommended

EVERYONE --- The REAL "ins" key on the "prt sc" key DOES INFACT WORK!   All you have to do is makesure you turn OFF "num lock"!

It took me forever to figure it out, but YAY!  I did it.

Goodluck!  

-Nick

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.