Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce0505sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion 14-ce0505sa - Core i7 - 256GB SSD - 8GB Ram

Coffee spilt on keyboard. Opened and dried out.  Ram, SSD and battery tried in a different HP Pavilion 14 and all work fine, but in original (coffee) laptop the battery won't charge and it doesn't power on, but the charge light blinks various codes. I can find docs describing what blinking Caps Lock light means, but not charge light.

Can anyone say what the blinking charge light is telling me, please? Description follows:

Power light and charging light blink in different sequences when turned on, switched off depending on battery / AC power connected. Battery fully charged in another HP:

Battery out, AC power on, press power button on:
Power light is on for 5 secs, with charge light blinking white 4 times; then power light is off for 3 secs, with charging light blinking white twice. Sequence repeats continuously.

Battery in, fully charged, AC power off, press power button on:
Power light is on for 5 secs, with charge light blinking white 3 times; then power light is off for 3 secs, with charging light blinking white twice. Sequence repeats continuously.

Battery in, fully charged, AC power on (i.e. both battery and AC power connected), press power button on:
Power light is on for 5 secs, with charge light blinking white 3 times; then power light is off for 3 secs,  charging light blinks once white, then once red/white (i.e. 2nd blink starts red but turns to white very quickly). Sequence repeats continuously.

Fully charged battery in, AC power in or out - power button held down till it turns off
charging light blinks white 5 times - repeats continuously.

Thanks

Timbo46

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I took a read of the document for the blink error codes and it looks like the spilled coffee  may have damaged your notebook's motherboard. 

I suggest following the reset instructions in the HP document  below this line.  I certainly can't  make any promises, but that may resolve the issue.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks, Erico.  The 'blinking lights' are the power button itself and the charging light on the side next to the power socket, not the caps lock light, so I was hoping for a similar table that shows what these blinking lights mean.

I have already tried reset as described but it made no difference. I agree the motherboard is probably damaged, but I would like to know if the blinking lights can pinpoint the problem - has HP published a table showing what blinking power and charge lights mean?

many thanks

HP Recommended

The only diagnostic error message that I am aware of for the power button LED is that consistent blinking indicates that a notebook is in standby mode or that the BIOS is corrupt.

The only power/charge state LED (on the side of the notebook) error diagnostic I am aware of are in most HP notebooks amber means charging/white means charged and solid white indicates that the power adapter is OK.

The LED flashing you are seeing are not meant to be diagnostic indications. A corrupt BIOS might possibly be the reason for the weird flashing you are seeing.

Here is a link to the support portal for your specific notebook.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-14-ce0000-laptop-pc/20283999/model/22745905

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico

Thanks very much for your response. I'll look through the support portal for any further clues, but I think it'll end up being fixed / replaced on home insurance and we'll wear the hefty excess!

thanks again for your time

Tim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.