Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Yes very likely. Have you tried a SATA M.2 drive?

HP Recommended
Don't have one spare. Will order one and send back the NVMe drive to check.
HP Recommended

Service Manual lists only SATA M.2 drives:

M.2 SATA-3 (NGFF): ● SSD, 256GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, TLC ● SSD, 128GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, TLC ● SSD, 128GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, Value DRAM-less

HP Recommended

Hi, I also have this Laptop and wanted to install an m.2 ssd.

Also I bought the exact same one as you which is a pci-e, didn't work. 

I came accorss this thread and read I had the wrong type.

I now have a sandisk 512gb m.2 ssd X400 which is recognised on the Laptop.

Haven't yet installed the OS onto it , But it should be fine.

Anyway this is the link to the ssd on amazon. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0194MV3XM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

Hi JayCam,

Have you tried the OS on the SSD yet? I'm keen to do the same upgrade (maybe with a 256gb m.2) so would welcome any tips - what BIOS are you on?.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

For what it's worth, Samsung EVO 850 250GB & 120GB both work in mine.

Huge performance increase.

HP Recommended

Was that the M.2 versions of the  850 EVO that you used?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is not only related to this thread, but maybe my new SSD is not compatible with my 15-ak085na 

1. I put a new SSD SANDISK Ultra II 480GB into a caddy replacing the optical drive. Copied my Windows 10 c-drive as outlined here: http://windowsreport.com/move-windows-10-ssd/
  2. Then I opened my laptop and put the new SSD into the place of the old 2TB drive.
  3. Now it get Boot device not found, Hard Disk (3FO)... please install OS

Is this related or does anyone know where I can find info how to solve this?

Thank you and regards

Tony

HP Recommended
Hopefully @DuncanJInnes is still able to see this post. If so, how did you replace the Realtek NIC with the Intel one? Can you provide a link to a walkthrough? All my searching has turned up nothing. Also, does anyone know if it's possible to install a mobile graphics chip? I'm not sure why the white model was sold as a Pavilion Gaming when it's clearly not up to the task but presumably the Motherboard is the same as the green model and there's a space for a dedicated graphics chip?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I followed a teardown video I found on YouTube. The only tricky but is separating the bottom of the laptop from the body once all the screws are out.  I know enough about computer design & layout that swapping the WiFi card out for a different one wasn't a problem. But if you're stuck, the maintenance manual for the laptop gives clear instructions on how to replace each part. In fact it is helpful enough about opening the laptop up in the first place 

As for adding graphics capabilities, you're out of luck I'm afraid. I didn't buy mine for gfx capability, so it's not something I've investigated much, but the graphics components would have to be soldered onto the motherboard from memory (i.e. a non-starter) and you'd need new heatsink etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.