Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 11

I've bought this laptop from Costco last year, and from day 1 I was disappointed from its energy inefficiency.

Its specs are HP Pavilion 15 - i7 1065G7 - 16GB RAM - GeForce MX250 - 1TB 5400rpm SATA HDD (plus a 1TB NVME SSD I added, which is a must).

Even at idle desktop, the fans are spinning, the bottom becomes hot and impossible to keep on a lap, and the battery only lasts for like 1hr 30minutes.

And before you tell me that I have some malware or virus eating up my resources without knowing, I say that I have dual boot with Ubuntu 20.04, and the same thing happens under Ubuntu, which rules out any software-related issue.

The only thing I could think of is to disable the dedicated graphics card from Windows device manager but this doesn't seem to make much difference (maybe 1/2 hour extra battery time).

Is this thing somehow fixable or is this laptop the worst energy and thermal design I have ever seen?

I'm comparing it with my Dell Latitude 5500 - i7 8665U @1.9GHz - 16GB RAM - 512GB NVME SSD which is cold, silent and the battery lasts for like 8hrs with just internet browsing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.