Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 17-ab401 4JY32EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

During last month a crack started to appear near the right hinge and it is getting bigger and bigger and with it it's puttin worse stress on the crack.

It is exactly as desribed e.g. here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/My-HP-Pavilion-Keyboard-is-cra...

This appears to be a very common issue as I screened the forum and it strikes me that HP is not doing anything about it.

My laptop sadly run out of warranty in December.  It is possible to overlook the expired warranty? I always tried to handle the laptop in a proper way, always carried it in a way it should be. I had trust in HP as a company, but I experienced already several repairs during the warranty period which were desperately needed as the hardware was not functional (webcam, battery, even screen leakage!). I'm anxious to see what will happen in near future as this is a sign that the laptop has badly designed construction - the screen (17'') is apparently wery heavy and it puts a lot of strain on the hinges when opening and closing it and the material does not keep up. I guess the laptops seem to be made to last only 2 years?

Can I somehow avoid the crack getting bigger?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Xardaser

Welcome to HP Support Community

I understand your concerns and frustrations

I will escalate your case to HP's regional escalation team and a case manager will get back to you

Please check your Inbox

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear KrazyToad,

thank you for your swift answer. Everytime I communicate with support agents here on the forum I get back some hope:)

HP Recommended

OK, so the HP customer service said they won't do anything as I am out of warranty.

I took the laptop apart and was really furious. I had the laptop in repair in November and the hinge appeared within two months.  Now I discovered that there are broken and missing pieces of plastic and a missing brass insert!! So I sent it to an authorized service repair shop and got it back with a damaged hinge. BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!! 

They sure won't accept blame. how can i prove it  that it was them, right...and as I'm out of warranty I have to deal with it by myself.

Word of advice if anyone ever reads it: buy a different brand with not such cheap plastic parts and with compentent repair shops

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.