Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-ab319ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

Please help me 🙂 

My laptop default ram is 8Gb DDR4 2133 Mhz. There are two slots for ram, so I'm thinking about upgrading, but my friend's father told me I can only have 16Gb of ram MAX because each slot supports only 8Gb… I kinda hoped for 32, so now I'm at loss what to do.

My service center is like "+16Gb? Alright, we'll do it, just give us the money". So, who should I trust? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have an Intel i7 7th gen and your laptop uses or can use DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM. Laptops with Intel Core 6th gen and higher that use DDR4 have been proven to be able to take 32 gigs of memory and many resellers offer them configured as such. 

Since you would have to buy 2 modules to get there, get 2 x 16 gig DDR4-2400 as that is what the Service Manual says 7th gen models should have:

Service Manual

See p. 3. DDR4-2400 actually seems to be more widely available and a little cheaper right now than DDR4-2133. 

I have no HP document I can show you to prove this but we have had plenty of reports of success with upgrading to 32 gigs on these laptops. The question might legitimately be asked whether you can really take advantage of the 16 to 32 gig upgrade but I will let you decide that for yourself. 16 gigs is a lot of memory and will be sufficient for anything except the most demanding video editing, or similar high demand production work. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You have an Intel i7 7th gen and your laptop uses or can use DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM. Laptops with Intel Core 6th gen and higher that use DDR4 have been proven to be able to take 32 gigs of memory and many resellers offer them configured as such. 

Since you would have to buy 2 modules to get there, get 2 x 16 gig DDR4-2400 as that is what the Service Manual says 7th gen models should have:

Service Manual

See p. 3. DDR4-2400 actually seems to be more widely available and a little cheaper right now than DDR4-2133. 

I have no HP document I can show you to prove this but we have had plenty of reports of success with upgrading to 32 gigs on these laptops. The question might legitimately be asked whether you can really take advantage of the 16 to 32 gig upgrade but I will let you decide that for yourself. 16 gigs is a lot of memory and will be sufficient for anything except the most demanding video editing, or similar high demand production work. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply!

Can you please tell, if I can at first just change 8Gb ram to 16Gb (one module to one module, not +8, but to another one), and then look out for money for another 16Gb? Or should I buy both 16Gb simultaneously otherwise it won't work? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.