Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-f038nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP community,

I am contacting you about a technical question.
I would like to increase the performance of my HP Notebook PC in order to use the maximum potential of my motherboard.

Therefore, I am contacting you to ask what is the maximum RAM support of my motherboard?

If it is possible to increase the RAM capacity, can you give me detailed information so that I can order the right product.

I remain available if you need further information.

Thank you very much,

Yours sincerely,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Pikachu2 

Actually you can use 16GB. The reason HP said 12GB is due to the 24GB flash cache. Normally when getting problem machine will dumps memory (RAM) contents to flash cache and in theory flash cache = RAM x 2 that why 12GB came from.

You can install 16GB, machine will dump 16GB to 24GB. Who is going to read the dump file anyway. In the mainframe world, I used to read memory dump, in many cases the files were big but I only needed to read few spots.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Pikachu2 

Your machine could be a little bit old, I can't find its specs. Please use the following manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04402649.pdf

Page 3 shows you max RAM you can install to your machine and RAM type/specs. You can use part # on page 116 of the manual OR use the compatible RAM (DD3RL RAM) from other vendors.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt response,
Indeed, my laptop is 5 years old.
If I understand correctly, my laptop supports only 12 GB of RAM memory at its maximum?
To take advantage of the dual channel how do I get 12 GB of RAM?

Thank you,

HP Recommended

@Pikachu2 

Actually you can use 16GB. The reason HP said 12GB is due to the 24GB flash cache. Normally when getting problem machine will dumps memory (RAM) contents to flash cache and in theory flash cache = RAM x 2 that why 12GB came from.

You can install 16GB, machine will dump 16GB to 24GB. Who is going to read the dump file anyway. In the mainframe world, I used to read memory dump, in many cases the files were big but I only needed to read few spots.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.