Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-bf054sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I bought my laptop in Summer 2018. I fell in love with it, i was amazing and so nice and everything i wanted. The battery held charge for a very long time! I could use it for a reasonable amount of time for two or so days without running out of charge.

But

When my third party warranty ran out, the battery now can't even hold 3 or 4 hours of just typing on a word processor and googling things. What can I do?

I have also realised that the laptop rarely alerts me that the battery is low, and when it does, it will be the yellow warning (then later a red should follow like in any laptop) but the laptop will turn off after a few seconds of showing 'low battery' which for my laptop means theres around 15% left.

When i do plug it in, i leave it for a few minutes so that it can charge up before turning it back on again. Whether I wait or turn it on straight away, the laptop will turn on fine and everything will work and then after around 1 or 2 mins the laptop shuts down with no warning.

Whats going on? I make sure theres no rubbish or unnecessary files on my laptop so im unsure of what the issue can be. I only ever use software such as Edge, Word and Mail. No excessive gaming or watching films that may drain the battery.

I really invested into this laptop and was so happy with it initially. I also plan to take this laptop to Uni with me for the next 5 years. But I dont want to have to worry about running out of charge.

Thank you in advance.

Wiktoria

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

If you want to keep the laptop for 4 or 5 years then you are going to have to replace the battery at least once and maybe twice. 

But the battery should last more than 10 or 11 months. Have you run a diagnostic on the battery? You can do that from a preboot diagnostic app...tap esc as you power up then F2 then component tests and battery and run the long test and report results back here. Alternately there is a battery test in HP Support Assistant. The advanced results tell us the cycles, the health of each battery cell, etc. and we can draw some evidence-based conclusions. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.