Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have changed to the most current BIOS and did the steps to make the battery charge when the computer is on.  Neither worked so I think I need to get a new processor as the error code of numlock and capslock blinking simultaneously is still happening and when I turn the computer on, it does nothing and takes from 5 minutes to 30 minutes to start the boot process so clearly I need to act quickly because total failure is bound to happen.  I already backed up important files to DVD so it won't cause panic when it finally fails completely.

HP Recommended

Excellent work backing up your files! That always makes things easier. Just so you know the processor in your notebook is the AMD Turion 64 Dual-Core RM-75 processor - 2.2GHz. From the looks of a quick search on that processor description, you may be able to pick one up very inexpensively.

Be cautious and check with the seller on the return policy before purchase though, just in case. If you decide to get one, make sure to apply thermal paste and clean the old thermal paste off of the fan/heatsink assembly when installing the new processor. Update the thread with the results when you get a chance, please 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you!  I just bought "AMD Turion X2 RM-75 2.2 GHz Dual-Core (TMRM75DAM22GG) Processor" on ebay for $15 with free shipping so I'll have it later this week and will have a professional help me change it out, using your advice regarding the thermal paste.  Thanks and I will keep you posted! 

HP Recommended
My computer is actually a dv7-1448dx Is the processor you referenced still what I need even though my model is not what this thread is (1245 versus 1448)? Thanks
HP Recommended

Yep that's the right one. I checked the model number you gave me in a previous post before I looked up your specs. Here's a link to your notebook's (HP Pavilion dv7-1448dx) specifications. The processor is the second item listed. 

Looking forward to hearing the results on the replacement! Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

On start, windows wouldn't load and had black screen with blink code 1.  I replaced the CPU and reassembled the laptop DV7 and to my disappointment, same thing.  Black screen code 1 and caps & num locks blinking.  Opened and closed the DVD drive and just let it set for a few minutes and to my surprise, it booted.  Got me all the way to my desktop normally, then after a minute or so BOOM everything shut down.  Tried to replicate my prior actions and it booted, but didn't even make it all the way to the desktop this time without shutting it down.  Can anyone help?  Is this laptop shot, or does it maybe need a hard drive?  ASAP please.

HP Recommended

I am surprised to see that opening and closing the optical drive actually worked, at least for 2 users here. 😄 As the computer booted anyway, the "bad processor" indicated by the blinking LEDS could very well be a false alarm. I mean, when something's broken, it IS broken, the processor cannot be working and not working at the same time. Also, replacing the processor doesn't work, so I suspect this to be some nonsense, gremlin-like error. I still can't explain what optical drive has to do with processor or the whole machine, though, maybe this will keep bugging me for weeks until I have a more interesting thing to do. 😄

By the way, I have my computer back last week. Until now it is now working as it is supposed to, but I was recommended to closely observe it, taking picture whenever it goes down as this is a very strange case that no tech guy has ever encountered before. As I expected, they just carried out regular maintanence, nothing major.

HP Recommended

@susieq13 No the issue, unfortunately, is beyond the hard drive. That code indicates a processor (as I'm sure you probably already know from the thread) so that means it is either the processor itself or the processor socket. It's difficult to know which is to blame without swapping out parts and troublehshooting using the process of elimination. 

The good news though is that your hard drive is most likely fine. You should be about to take it out and either put it in a different computer or hook it up to a different computer using a SATA to USB adapter cable. That would allow you to transfer files. Programs would need to be reinstalled (onto the new hard drive) if you were transferring all of the files to a new hard drive. If you have any questions about that, please don't hesitate to ask! 🙂

Examples of SATA to USB adapters

Google Shopping results

Newegg results

Amazon results

HP Recommended

@susieq13 Also, just wanted to point this out, you could even use an enclosure similar to this one and just use that hard drive as an external hard drive. Of course, I'm not endorsing any brand, just using that one as an example because it has useful pictures. Check with the store before making any purchase, on the return policy. 

jhoeke12 has ordered a new (fairly inexpensive) processor for his notebook and we are just waiting to hear the results of the replacement. That could be a route for you also, susieq13. Though, like vns_firefly mentioned, it may not work. The reason for that would be that the issue is with the socket, not the processor. If it was the socket, the full motherboard may need to be replaced. I could check to see what the prices are for your particular processor, if I could get your product number. Here are the steps to find your product number.

HP Recommended

Already installed new processor and now I just ordered from Ebay a new heatsink and fan because of the way the dv7 shuts down after a few seconds I figured it was overheating again and getting ready to burn up my new processor.  Got new ones cheap too.  Since the laptop doesn't stay on long enough to hear the fan kick on, I'm taking my chances and will install these 2 safeguards and will try it again.  I'll repost next week when I'm done and let everyone know if it worked.  These AMD CPU's and in particular the HP laptops are notorious for overheating.  Just saying . . .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.