7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion DV7 fan replacement

HP Pavilion DV7 1240US
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an old HP Pavilion DV7 1240US with AMD Turion X2 processor and an ATI Radeon graphics card. From a while ago the fan won't spin faster when the laptop starts to get hot (specially when gaming). I remember the fan would start spining at different speeds. So I opened the laptop and cleaned the fan and vents,  checked "Fan always on" at BIOS, flashed latest BIOS, downgraded to previous versions of BIOS, with same reult. After some research I noticed that maybe the fan would be damaged, so I decided to get a replacement. According to the manual for this model (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01918142.pdf):

Fan

For use only with computer models equipped with AMD processors 488885-001

For use only with computer models equipped with Intel processors 480481-001

So I should have get the AMD processor fan model (488885-001), but I go the wrong one, the Intel model (480481-001). Would there be any issues if I install this Intel fan instead the AMD one? Considering that my actual fan might be damaged.

Thank you!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you get just the fan or the fan and heatsink unit? If the fan will fit you could put the Intel fan on the original heatsink. 

0 Kudos
smtrejo Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just got the fan, but my laptop came with the Intel one instead of the AMD model. I replaced the fan and it works like the old one: slow. Do you know why it doesn't spins faster any more? I remember that when the laptop was starting to get hotter the fan would spin like a racing car. It runs fast when the laptop boots, after the "Press F10 to enter BIOS" message it goes to its lowest speed forever. I thouhgt that replacing the fan would solve my issue. "Fan always on" is checked at BIOS settings.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation