Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Dv6-6159er

Hello, I have a problem.  I am the owner of an HP Pavilion Dv6-6159er laptop.  It runs only on cold degrees 16-18. Thermal paste was changed and the laptop was cleaned.  BIOS is fully operational.  But how to make it start up at normal temperature, I don’t like to keep it on the balcony, and then get it out and turn it on.  If you turn it on at normal temperature, then the dash just blinks on the screen, and after cooling at 16 degrees it turns on.  Sorry for my English.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RPG_MoNsTeR 

This is NOT a personal criticism directed at YOU -- but not everyone knows HOW to apply thermal compound the right way.

With the newer compounds, you do the following:

1) put a single small drop on the center of the CPU

2) using a piece of hard smooth plastic (like a credit card) scrape off Nearly All of the compound so that only a very thin layer is left

3) reinsert the CPU

4) reattach the HSF

IF you put too much compound it acts as an Insulator and will cause the CPU to overheat.

Also, check that the laptop fan is spinning up properly and that the air vents are cleaned of any dust.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RPG_MoNsTeR 

This is NOT a personal criticism directed at YOU -- but not everyone knows HOW to apply thermal compound the right way.

With the newer compounds, you do the following:

1) put a single small drop on the center of the CPU

2) using a piece of hard smooth plastic (like a credit card) scrape off Nearly All of the compound so that only a very thin layer is left

3) reinsert the CPU

4) reattach the HSF

IF you put too much compound it acts as an Insulator and will cause the CPU to overheat.

Also, check that the laptop fan is spinning up properly and that the air vents are cleaned of any dust.

HP Recommended

What about that thermopaste? I only run it when it's cold, which is 16-18 degrees. And if you turn it on just at room temperature, it'll turn on, but it's just going to flash a dash on what.

HP Recommended

@RPG_MoNsTeR 

Sorry, I haven't done HSF or CPU replacements in a long time -- but back when I did it, the best thermal paste around was called Arctic Silver.  You should look for something like this.

And you should look online for videos with detailed instructions about applying thermal compound.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.