Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Lewistrick Tutor
Tutor
10 1 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion G7 - battery plugged in, not charging

Pavilion G7-2301ED
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Since a few days, I am having a problem with the battery of my notebook. I have my notebook plugged in, but it won't charge. When pointing the battery icon in the system tray, it says: 10% available, plugged in, not charging.

It started of a few weeks ago when the notifications for low battery stopped appearing (where it normally did so at 14% and 9%). This was not a major issue for me, however I looked around at the forums and I couldn't fix it with the advice here. This also goes for this newer issue. I tried uninstalling the drivers for the battery, removing the battery from my laptop, restarting Windows and reinstalling the battery, in different orders, none of which do the job.

There's no damage to the battery.

When I remove it from the laptop, I can work using the power cord.

I did a battery check with the HP support assistance, and it says I need to purchase a new battery. But I can't really accept that: it can't be that it stops working so suddenly. The battery had an outstandinlgy good lifetime up until a few days ago. I don't want to pay for something that still has a lot of potential to be functioning well.

My serial number is [Moderator edited Serial Number].

My product number is E8R31E#ABH.

The model code is G7-2301ED.

Please help me on this one.

8 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1898
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Lewistrick

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that until a few days ago your battery was working well but now it will not charge. You followed some suggestion in the forum but they did not help.

You ran the battery test and were informed you need to replace this one.  You are concerned that the test may be faulty and that you do not need to replace it.

Here are two documents to help you understand battery life and provides an alternative method to test the battery to ensure the first test was correct.

HP Notebook PCs - Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

Battery information center.

If I have helped, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below.” and if your issue is resolved please click solution provide to help other people find this information .

Best of Luck and have a terrific weekend!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Lewistrick Tutor
Tutor
10 1 2
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This wasn't really helpful. I know how a battery works, but I simply can't believe that its lifespan is ~1.5 hours on one day, and stops working the next day.

Also, the test you provided was exactly the one that I did.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1898
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Lewistrick,

Thank you for your reply.

You could check the power connector to the notebook to ensure that there is not a damaged, bent or broken pin that is  causing the issue.

Rechargeable batteries will only take a certain amount of charges before they no longer function.

Regards

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Lewistrick Tutor
Tutor
10 1 2
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The battery is intact. Also, the laptop recognizes there is a battery. Now it says '0% available (plugged in, not charging)' when I point the icon in the task bar.

I have enough experience with rechargeable batteries (also Li-ion, like my current notebook battery) to know that the lifetime slowly decreases - over the course of years, not days. So, once again, that can't be the problem.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1898
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @LewistrickI

have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Zomgisgod Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help i have the exact same issue i have a hp g7-2023cl

0 Kudos
Lewistrick Tutor
Tutor
10 1 2
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that. I had to buy a new battery, so you might want to do that too.

(Maybe you might to check your warranty first (both HP and the retailer) and consider letting it repair by HP itself.)

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
41 2 7
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Lewistrick & @Zomgisgod,

Thanks for posting on the HP forums!

I understand that the batteries on your machines aren't charging as they once did.  Let's see what wee can do about that.

First, please check this document out: HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 8).

Depending on the age of your batteries, it's quite possible they need to be replaced.  Continual use, drainage or prolonged down time will alter the life span of most lithium ions batteries naturally.  If the batteries you write about are relatively new, we'll troubleshoot a little and see where we get before I recommend anything else.

Keep me in the loop.

Actions speak louder than words, please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as solved. It only takes a second to click the Accept as Solution button.

RedViking6
I work on behalf of HP
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation