Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook 17-ab011n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

i have a HP Pavilion Notebook 17-ab011nl, and i'd like to replace the original SSD with a new one.

In the maintenance and service guide i read that are supported the following:

M.2 SATA SSD, PCIe NVMe TLC

● 128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value PA 827560-026

● 256 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products 847109-002

● 512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products 847110-004

Do i understand that it is supported the NMVE technology; is that correct?

Wich of the following can be installe:

SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2

SSD 850 EVO SATA M.2

???

I don't understand if both technologies can be used on the laptop or only one of them (and in particular which one)...

thanks for support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@fabio2702

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

That said, you've nailed it, that's exactly what I meant and yes, the SSD mentioned on the link should work without issues as long as they match the information on the service guide.

If you have any other queries, let me know as I will be right here and happy to help! 😉

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@fabio2702

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you want information about upgrading to an SSD,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check the differences of each definition to understand what they are all about?

If you haven't, here's what you need to know:

Honestly unless you are doing hard care read and write intensive stuff like Databases, Video/3D, Editing etc going to NVMe will not give you any benifit. You won't be able to really notice the speed that much since you will be doing basic stuff as it is. Yes games load faster with a HDD vs SSD but you have to understand that the load times on a SSD are already pretty fast and unless you need it to load a few Miliseconds faster save the money, get the SSD, and put more money towards a GPU/CPU.

That said, as you've mentioned the 128GB SATA-3 & 256/512GB of NVMe is tested and approved by HP,

The brand or model of the SSD does not matter.

I hope that clarifies your concern,

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Riddle_Decipher,
I want a thank you a million times for your fast reply!

As a matter of fact i was going to upgrade also other HW pieces, including the ssd of course.
i've seen that NVME has a different pin layout, with more pins on one side, and also i read somewhere that some motherboards can't support those drives only because they don't have a suitable connector, that's the reason of my question.
Anyway, if i understand what you wrote i can put an NVMe drive, so for example i could use these drives

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html

obviously i won't really get those, i was thinking something less expensive. I just wanna make sure that the motherboard can host them, considering the different pin number.
Thanks again!
Very big virtual-five for you
HP Recommended

@fabio2702

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

That said, you've nailed it, that's exactly what I meant and yes, the SSD mentioned on the link should work without issues as long as they match the information on the service guide.

If you have any other queries, let me know as I will be right here and happy to help! 😉

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.