Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion ab292nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a Hp Pavilion ab292nr notebook. I am using this for over an year. In recent timeS the  laptop shutsdown suddenly without a warning. The battery shows 100 ( 3hr 35min estimate) looks fine , suddenly it goes to 60% in 2-3 minutes and way down and shutsdown abruptly. The fan seems to be making a lot of nice ( I had this issue earlier too, called the H support assistant and they performed some BIOS update and the issue resolved). But now it blows heat and I can hear the noise all the time I am using the notebook. I ran multiple component tests at startup and every test results came out good. 

I am unable to figure out what the issue is, Do I need a new battery? power adapter is not working fine? Anyother hardware issues? I even tried device manager > Battery > Uninstalling the battery controller > shutdown > remove the battery for over a min > put it back and start the system.

Please Advise.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@kollipara22

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand HP notebook Shuts down Suddenly and makes a noise as well,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

When was the last time it worked without these issues? did you attempt a system restore?

Did you reinstall the battery drivers?

Did you check for any other HP Forum posts to help resolve your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

If the computer continues to restart or shutdown unexpectedly: Click here to troubleshoot.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

My notebook was working fine, I had this issue since a week now. I reinstalled the battery drivers. Yesterday I updated the Bios driver released in April 2017 from the HP website.

HP Recommended

@kollipara22

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

In that case, I recommend you create a new user account and check if the issue persists,

If it does, enter BIOS by tapping on F10 during a restart and wait for the amount of time it normally takes before the PC shuts down on its own and if it does while you are on BIOS, that would confirm a hardware failure.

if it doesn't, you'll need to identify which program is causing the PC to shutdown and if it only happens when the adapter is disconnected from the notebook, if the issue occurs when disconnected from the adapter alone, try an alternate battery, if you don't have one, Contact HP to get a replacement battery:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Without the AC Adapter connected to the system , I entered the BIOS by pressing F2 at the start and as usual the system turned off in 10-15mins. Again, with AC adapter connected I ran few component tests and a system test. The results are:

Battery : OK (0)

Ac Adapter : Warning 

What does this mean? A problem with the battery? I saw a note while performing the AC Adapter test that the system should have a good battery on it to complete the test. Does this incur that the system has a faulty battery or Is it something else?

I am out of warranty period and all the issues I have on the notebook started after my 1year warranty expired.

Please advise.

HP Recommended

@kollipara22

Thank you for responding, 

If the issue occurred while you were on BIOS or the F2 diagnostics page, that usually confirms a hardware failure, that said, considering the issue doesn't occur when connected to the adapter, you simply need to replace the battery.

You could do so, using the HP Parts Surfer to find the universal part number and then order it online using the HP Parts Store or any retail store for that matter.

Also, I understand the device isn't working after your warranty expired and that's purely a coincidence, however, let me know if you think otherwise and I'll do what I can to help you out.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey,

Thanks for you support in replying to all the queries I have.

So should I come to a conclusion that I need a battery replacement?

I am searching for the product online in the store, the battery has one serial number and another label on the battery says to replace with a spare with a different serial number.

Yeah, I do feel like after the warranty period I am having issues, Its minimum concern for the company to provide support through phone or chat but after the warranty period everything comes with a price. I was never a Hp, this is my first try with the notebook. 

HP Recommended

@kollipara22

Thank you for replying,

I had been out for the day and couldn't reply instantaneously,

That said, according to our previous conversations, it seems like the battery replacement should do the trick,

And If the battery has a spare part number ending with XXXXX-001 (this would be a universal part number and can be used to purchase it from a local store as well as the HP Parts Store I had mentioned earlier).

keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will looking up on various online sites and the Hp store link you provided.  Its shows a great difference in the prices to the products available and the one in store. Can you send the help me finding the replacement? I see a tag 'Replace with HP SPARE 800049-001 on the battery. I was able to find it but it doesnt have any description or any details for me to be sure about it.

Since, you are with HP can you confirm that I am looking at the right product or if you can send me the exact product link that would be a great help.

Thanks for your patience in replying to all my questions. Greatly appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@kollipara22

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

That said, the part number you have is the right part you need, I looked it up on the HP support site to confirm the same and since this is a universal part number, you can simply put it in google search to find offers from websites, such as Newegg, eBay, amazon, etc...

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

You may compare the prices and go for the one you are most comfortable with.

For genuine HP branded parts, you can order it from the HP Parts Store (Click here) only because we cannot guarantee that the parts shipped from other retailers will be genuine parts from HP.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.