Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion X2 Product Number F5W70UA#ABA. I have been having trouble since I bought this just a few short months ago. The battery drains within an hour or 2 whenever I put the machine to sleep (close the lid, put in sleep mode, etc.). I have updated the BIOS and all the latest drivers. It helped ensure I could wake up the machine, but the battery keeps draining and I am at my wits end. I have also gone through many forum postings on this issue and have run the HP Battery Test as well as checked all the power management settings and they appear to be set up properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi DontLoveWindows,

From the information that you have given me, it is showing that you have 2 anti-virus softwares installed. Avast and Norton, that are continuously running when the printer is in sleep mode, which would be draining your power.

It also shows that your printer has missing or misconfigured drivers which could be using power as well. Here is an HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers download for your printer.

I suggest that you Disable your startup software. To do this:

Right click or touch and hold the bottom left corner of the screen and select Run.

Type msconfig in the Run box, and then press Enter.

The MSconfig window opens.

If the User Account Control window opens with the message, Windows needs your permission to continue, click or tap Continue to close the window.
If Normal Startup is currently selected, follow these steps:

Select Selective Startup, and then clear the Load Startup Items check box.

Click or tap the Services tab, and then select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box at the bottom of the screen.

Click or tap Disable All.

If Selective Startup is currently selected, follow these steps:

Click or tap the Services tab, and then select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box at the bottom of the screen.

Make a list of the items that are selected. You will need this list to reset your computer startup items later.

Click or tap Apply.

Click or tap OK. A new window displays.

Click or tap Restart to continue.

Once it restarts put it into sleep mode and test to see if this has resolved the issue. If it has then you need to enable one startup item at a time until you find which one is causing the issue. Once you have discovered what is causing the issue, then you can address it.

If you need further assistance, then post what the results are and I will be happy to continue helping you.

Regards.

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi DontLoveWindows,

I understand that you are having an issue with holding a charge in your battery while in sleep mode. I will try my best to help resolve this issue.

In this document for Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge are steps that should resolve this issue.

I hope this information helps, please let me know.

Thank you,

HP Recommended
The battery works fine as long as I don't put the computer to sleep. It's only when I put it to sleep that the battery drains within an hour or so. If I shut down the computer using the standard shutdown method the battery does not drain.
HP Recommended

Hi DontLoveWindows,

I suggest finding out what is draining your battery while in sleep mode. 

At the command prompt, type : powercfg -energy

The ENERGY command should be used when the computer is idle and with no open programs or documents. The ENERGY command will generate an HTML report file with information on what is being used to drain the battery.

Then at command prompt, type: powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

This returns a list of devices that are currently configured to wake the computer from any sleep state.

Could you please send me this information and I will try to help you resolve this.

Thank you,

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping. Below is the information you requested:

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Synaptics HID Touchpad

powercfg -energy (I ran this first as instructed above and ensured nothing was open)

Computer Name

PAVILION

Scan Time

2014-03-29T14:07:34Z

Scan Duration

60 seconds

System Manufacturer

Hewlett-Packard

System Product Name

HP Pavilion 11 x2 Notebook PC

BIOS Date

11/25/2013

BIOS Version

F.08

OS Build

Platform Role

PlatformRoleMobile

Plugged In

false

Process Count

Thread Count

Report GUID

{5601f610-0fa2-4ed4-ab94-a68f68dcc80e}

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Dim timeout is disabled (On Battery)

The display is not configured to automatically dim after a period of inactivity.

Power Policy:Dim timeout is disabled (Plugged In)

The display is not configured to automatically dim after a period of inactivity.

System Availability Requests:System Required Request

The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

Driver Name

\FileSystem\srvnet

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high

The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.

Average Utilization (%)

Device Drivers:

Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption.

Device Name

Photosmart C5100 series

Device ID

ROOT\MULTIFUNCTION\0000

Device Status

0x1802401

Device Problem Code

0x16

Warnings

Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In)

The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes.

Timeout (seconds)

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.

Process Name

AvastSvc.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

Average Module Utilization (%)

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\14032501\aswCmnBS.dll

\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.

Process Name

SynTPEnh.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\SynTP.sys

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\SynCOM.dll

Process Name

wsqmcons.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\Windows\System32\tdh.dll

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

Process Name

WSHost.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Process Name

System

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys

\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ACPI.sys

Process Name

msfeedssync.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll

Process Name

SkyDrive.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Process Name

dwm.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\igd10iumd64.dll

Process Name

ielowutil.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\SystemRoot\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswSnx.sys

Process Name

ielowutil.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswSnx.sys

\SystemRoot\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Wireless access point does not support WMM Power Save

The wireless access point the computer is connected to does not support WMM Power Save Mode. The Wi-Fi modem cannot enter Power Save mode to save energy as defined in Wireless Adapter Power Policy.

SSID

lemieuxcrew

MAC Address

00:1a:2b:98:46:36

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution

The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.

Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)

Power Policy:Active Power Plan

The current power plan in use

Plan Name

OEM Balanced

Plan GUID

{381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)

The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.

Personality

Balanced

Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)

Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.

Quality Mode

Balance Video Quality and Power Savings

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)

The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.

Personality

Balanced

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)

The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)

Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.

Quality Mode

Optimize for Video Quality

USB Suspend:Analysis Success

Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID

Hewlett-PackardPrimary

Manufacturer

Hewlett-Packard

Serial Number

Chemistry

LION

Long Term

Sealed

Design Capacity

Last Full Charge

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States

Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.

S1 Sleep Supported

false

S2 Sleep Supported

false

S3 Sleep Supported

true

S4 Sleep Supported

true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support

Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.

Connected Standby Supported

false

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.

This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.

Group

Index

Idle State Count

Idle State Type

Micro Power Engine Plugin

Nominal Frequency (MHz)

Maximum Performance Percentage

Lowest Performance Percentage

Lowest Throttle Percentage

Performance Controls Type

ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.

Group

Index

Idle State Count

Idle State Type

Nominal Frequency (MHz)

Group

Index

Idle State Count

Idle State Type

Nominal Frequency (MHz)

Group

Index

Idle State Count

Idle State Type

Nominal Frequency (MHz)

HP Recommended

Hi DontLoveWindows,

From the information that you have given me, it is showing that you have 2 anti-virus softwares installed. Avast and Norton, that are continuously running when the printer is in sleep mode, which would be draining your power.

It also shows that your printer has missing or misconfigured drivers which could be using power as well. Here is an HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers download for your printer.

I suggest that you Disable your startup software. To do this:

Right click or touch and hold the bottom left corner of the screen and select Run.

Type msconfig in the Run box, and then press Enter.

The MSconfig window opens.

If the User Account Control window opens with the message, Windows needs your permission to continue, click or tap Continue to close the window.
If Normal Startup is currently selected, follow these steps:

Select Selective Startup, and then clear the Load Startup Items check box.

If Selective Startup is currently selected, follow these steps:

Make a list of the items that are selected. You will need this list to reset your computer startup items later.

Click or tap Apply.

Click or tap OK. A new window displays.

Click or tap Restart to continue.

Once it restarts put it into sleep mode and test to see if this has resolved the issue. If it has then you need to enable one startup item at a time until you find which one is causing the issue. Once you have discovered what is causing the issue, then you can address it.

If you need further assistance, then post what the results are and I will be happy to continue helping you.

Regards.

HP Recommended

This worked great! I left in sleep mode overnight and all is well this morning, full battery, Thanks for helping.

HP Recommended

Hi DontLoveWindows,

I am so glad to hear that worked for you. Now you should be able to add that startup items back one at a time to find the culprit that has been draining your power.

Could I ask that you please consider marking Message 6 as 'Accept as Solution' so that anybody else in the community who may experience this issue can find the solution more easily.

Good Luck,

HP Recommended
Sure, will do. I do not plan to start adding anything back unless needed. There are just too many and the system is running well without it.
HP Recommended

Dear Advanced23,

I have the same problem. Please advise.

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report Computer Name HP Scan Time 2015-05-09T11:47:11Z Scan Duration 60 seconds System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Product Name HP Pavilion x2 Detachable PC 10 BIOS Date 08/26/2014 BIOS Version F.06 OS Build 9600 Platform Role PlatformRoleSlate Plugged In false Process Count 85 Thread Count 1057 Report GUID {e3e8b686-34c0-490b-9552-86d060777b81} Analysis Results

Errors

The service has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Service Schedule
A kernel component has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 26.02

Warnings

USB Suspend:USB Device Rarely Entering Selective Suspend
This device intermittently entered the USB Selective Suspend state during the trace. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Composite Device Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F35 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_0D62&PID_0D97 Port Path 4 Time Suspended (%) 40
Process Name taskhost.exe PID 5540 Average Utilization (%) 24.97 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DfpCommon.dll 21.91 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll 3.00 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.02
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Wireless access point does not support WMM Power Save
The wireless access point the computer is connected to does not support WMM Power Save Mode. The Wi-Fi modem cannot enter Power Save mode to save energy as defined in Wireless Adapter Power Policy.
SSID nic MAC Address 5e:51:4f:35:11:d2

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156258
Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name OEM Balanced Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
Personality Balanced
Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
Personality Balanced
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality
Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID 123456789Intel SR 1SR Real Battery Manufacturer Intel SR 1 Serial Number 123456789 Chemistry LION Long Term 1 Sealed 0 Cycle Count 1 Design Capacity 34125 Last Full Charge 33668
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported false S2 Sleep Supported false S3 Sleep Supported false S4 Sleep Supported true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support
Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.
Connected Standby Supported true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
Group 0 Index 0 Idle State Count 11 Idle State Type Micro Power Engine Plugin Nominal Frequency (MHz) 1329 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 37 Lowest Throttle Percentage 4 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States
Group 0 Index 1 Idle State Count 11 Idle State Type Micro Power Engine Plugin Nominal Frequency (MHz) 1329 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 37 Lowest Throttle Percentage 4 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States
Group 0 Index 2 Idle State Count 11 Idle State Type Micro Power Engine Plugin Nominal Frequency (MHz) 1329 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 37 Lowest Throttle Percentage 4 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States
Group 0 Index 3 Idle State Count 11 Idle State Type Micro Power Engine Plugin Nominal Frequency (MHz) 1329 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 37 Lowest Throttle Percentage 4 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States
Device Drivers:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.