Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello,

SSD on my laptop (15-au150sa), as above died (MZ-NLN256A). I bought a new one, WD Blue SN550. It is not recognized in BIOS at all. Tried GParted and it only sees a usb drive. I have reinserted m.2 drive several times to make sure it's ok, BIOS has been resetted to its factory settings. This laptop will not tak SATA drives (except DVD). I ran out of ideas. All cables are connected correctly too. If BIOS needs upgrading - I can do it, but prefer not to. I will appreciate any tips. Thanks. IMG_20211006_183455 (1).jpg 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The reason for your dilemma is that notebook's M.2 slot only supports SATA SSD's, not NVMe.

See chapter 1 of the maintenance and service guide for the supported drive types...

HP Pavilion - 15-au150sa Manuals | HP® Customer Support

Any HP desktop and notebook PC I know of has a M.2 slot that 'looks' like it will support a NVMe SSD.

However, some support SATA only, some support NVMe only, and some support both.

That is why you need to confirm what type(s) of SSDs are supported before buying one.

HP Recommended

I bought it via scan.co.uk, with insurance, so hopefully i can return it, and replace with correct one. Which one would you suggest, I would prefer 512GB, something more reliable than original drive, which died after 4 years.

Alternatively, can this WD be forced to work? If so, any tips? Thanks 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is no way to make the NVMe SSD work in your PC.

This SATA M.2 SSD provides the best performance for the price, IMHO.

WD 500GB Blue 3D NAND M.2 SATA SSD/Solid State Drive LN83529 - WDS500G2B0B | SCAN UK

Amazon has it for one penny less, but maybe it will be easier for you to exchange it via the same company.

Western Digital WDS500G2B0B WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD M.2 SATA, 500 GB - Black - Amazon.co.uk

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.