fjgn1234
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dm4 1165dx Notebook PC

HP Pavilion dm4 1165dx Notebo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i am interested to upgrade the system memory, I only have 4gb of memory. what is the max the laptop can handle and what kind should  I buy? the system boards is 146A 58.28.

9 REPLIES 9
Level 19
Level 19
78,869 78,768 9,707 20,992
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

From page 2 of its Maintenance and Service Guide:

Supports up to 8 GB of system memory
DDR3, 1066-MHz, dual-channel memory (DDR3 1333 MHz downgraded to DDR3 1066 MHz)

Supports the following configurations:
● 8 GB (4 GB×2)
● 6 GB (2 GB×2 + 4 GB+1)
● 4 MB (2 GB×2 or 4 GBx1)
● 3 GB (1 GB×1 + 2 GB×1)
● 2 GB (2 GB×1)
● 2 MB (1 GB×2)
● 1 GB (1 GB×1)

Page 44 of the manual shows part number (from HP) and also shows you how to add/replace RAM. You can download more manuals from the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dm4-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/4247657/model/4...   

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
fjgn1234
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DDR3, 1066-MHz, dual-channel memory (DDR3 1333 MHz downgraded to DDR3 1066 MHz.   which one is better and faster. ?

0 Kudos
Level 19
Level 19
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Ending up they ONLY run at 1066MHz that means nothing faster.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
jjz9
4 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Banhien,
What if... I installed an 8Gb + a 4Gb RAM module into the DM4-1165dx ? Would it still work, or simply block?
Would that extra RAM bring any operational gain?
The fact is that my laptop is still in perfect order but, after so many mandatory updates and certainly a lot of bloatware all around, from web browsers to the new "app-based" W10, the machine runs most of the time between 6 and 7Gb of used memory, even if we are only running a browser and one or two Office units - typically Outlook plus either Excel or Word.
I would like to have some extra RAM so the core runs without pushing the cooling vents almost 100% of the time, and a little faster too.
Thanks for the valuable help I may get on this forum! 🙂

0 Kudos
Level 19
Level 19
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jjz9 

1. 8GB + 4GB = 12 GB will work but not using dual channels.
  2. Q: Would that extra RAM bring any operational gain?    A : More memory (RAM) normally will reduce swap in/out to disk therefore machine will run faster. Some applications/programs require more RAM than others therefore the swap in/out would be less often when machine has more RAM (up to the limit).

Regards.

BH
0 Kudos
jjz9
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Banhien.
So, in short, the best thing to do is to keep RAM at maximum value of the original machine specs, that is 8Gb on a 4+4 configuration, and in line with original clock too (1066 MHz). Is this correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jjz9 

In terms of price/performance, since machine only uses 6GB or 7GB therefore you won't get more benefit/cost therefore keeping 4GB + 4GB is the  right move.

Again, keep RAM at its current clock speed.

Well, I don't believe this post is more than 3 years old.

Regards.

BH
jjz9
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your kind and objective guidance, Banhien.
When you mention "Well, I don't believe this post is more than 3 years old" I tend to believe you understand that when we, non-experts, come to a forum asking for help, it's because we don't master the subject. So an answer that makes all sense and sounds obvious for some, maybe unclear and inconclusive for others. For example, your comment about "8+4 will work but not on dual channel" certainly has technical value and specific meaning, but for me it means "it will work but... 'what dual channel?' ". I hope you feel the difference, and forgive the possible redundancy on some questions about the same subject.
Thanks for all the helpful comments, Banhien!
And if you don't mind, I might also post a question about upgrading the current HDD for an SDD. I have all the dumb non-expert possible questions about SATA, connectors and adapters potentially needed for such replacement, and the process of cloning current disk content into the new one to be installed ...  Would you be up to it? 🙂

0 Kudos
Level 19
Level 19
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jjz9 

>>>> I might also post a question about upgrading the current HDD for an SDD. I have all the dumb non-expert possible questions about SATA,

No, you simply replace current 2.5" HDD to 2.5" SSD, you won't need adapter or anything.

Back to RAM. Dual channels will run better than single channel for more about Dual channels please read the following topic

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/what-is-dual-channel-memory

Regards.

BH
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation