Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion dv6 laptop is a little over a year old and has this problem: whenever I unplug the charger, the computer dies at random. It shuts off without warning and won't turn on until I put the charger back in. 

The battery can be anywhere from 20 - 80 %..or that's what it shows when it restarts. 

Where is the problem? battery or hard drive? 

Help me/give me advice in anyway you can please!! 

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks for the follow up, though I'm sorry for the results you had. Check this link for info on purchasing a replacement battery.

Please let me know if I can be of further service.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Hi ssharifi94,

Take a look at this document http://goo.gl/wUyNq which provides instructions on testing and calibrating the battery. Please let me know your results.

Thanks,
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you so much for your help! I ran the test using the preferred testing method on the document. The result said the primary battery failed. 

HP Recommended
Thanks for the follow up, though I'm sorry for the results you had. Check this link for info on purchasing a replacement battery.

Please let me know if I can be of further service.

Signature
HP Recommended

I'm having this same problem.  My battery failed the check, yet it turns off with 98% power in the charge so how can it be the battery?  I get the message "Primary battery failed (replace) secondary battery (not installed).  What does that mean?  My laptop was a lemon from the start and has been in for service 3 times to HP.  Does that mean they forgot to reinstall the secondary battery??  Help!  thanks!:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Could you please give me the exact product number for your computer?

If you need help finding it, you can use the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Thanks,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hi Kyle, thanks for the help.  The product number is XQ963AV.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Nicole

HP Recommended

Hi,

I also have a problem with my hp dv6000. At first it had an image card problem that had moved out of its place but has now been fixed. After fixing it I had another problem where the laptop start at the start screen but then it freezes and does not continue. When it does load to the desktop screen it will function until it randomly freezes after about 10 min. My friend told me it was the HDD, should I buy a ne HDD or is that not the problem? 

Thanks,

I appreciate any help

HP Recommended

Hello jesar. I understand you are experiencing constant freezing on the computer. The hard drive could be at fault, and I would like you to test it to make sure. This HP document will explain how to run diagnostic tests to determine the functionality of the hardware. Please try all the tests and reply the results.

I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Mario,
Thankyou for the quick reply and I will soon try the steps.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.