Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Okay so i have the Hp dv7 pavilion brushedmetal with the i5 intel 6gb ram and a 650 HDD

with in the first 3 months of having the computer the hard drive went bad in it and had to get a replacement 

as the error told me to back everything up and fix it befor it broke completly,

now a bout a year later it is really really slow cant run any paint programs,

and i have 2 youtube vids open and my email and it over heats and distorts the audio and video slows down

the side is poping up from the hing and also it s lid is getting loose, 

the fan is not speeding up and over heating it aswell had 4 shut downs in a row over a 3 hour period of cool down and start up 

i am not to happy with hp its still under waranty i think i just need a new computer in genral its been 2 years going on my 3rd 

any help is welcom to why its acting up other then dust 

HP Recommended

Hi, 

first, sorry for my english, I just wanna try to help the Pavillion owners like me.
I had the same problem with an HP Pavillion dv7 3165el. The temperature goes from 70°C to 94°C when I use heavy software like Adobe PS, Premiere or just when I play Minecraft.
After a period when my pc shutdown 3-4 times a day, with blue screens and freeze, I sent it at the HP support, they change all the RAM and one Hard Drive.
After that, the temperature was still high: about 85° when I'm working. 
This model have bis issues, and it's a shame because the performance are not so bad.

The only way I can reduce drastically the temperature is following these steps:

- format the 2 HD

- re-install the OS

- install just few drivers: sound, wi-fi if it's request and pointer's driver with windows update, step by step (DO NOT INSTALL THE GRAPHICS CARD'S DRIVER IF YOU CAN, IT WILL REDUCE THE TEMPERATURE ABOUT 20°C) 

If you will use a generic driver ( not the ATI CCC ), you'll resolve many issues for this notebook. Today, for example, Minecraft and Adobe's softwares works around 60°C.

It works for me, I don't know if it really can help someone.

Cheers. 

HP Recommended

wats the solution to it?  I have the same problem. I can probly boil eggs on the laptop & it roars louder than lion. Can anyone give me a solution to this ? HP refuses to help saying the product is not launched in India & that I will have to travel all the way to US to get it fixed even tho its under warranty. They are impossible . Never buy HP

HP Recommended
hi dhruvthakkar,
just try, if u can, to do a backup of your datas, format (I used Ubuntu on cd with Gparted and format in NFTS), then install the OS and just the few drivers with windows update (first the important updates then the optionals).
Also, clean the fan and the slots with a little sprayduster but be careful.
As I say, it works for me. Of course, forget play games without a the ATI dirvers, but for work, web and movies (or Minecraft at least), it's fine.
The problem with that, my opinion, is that there are too many powerfull components in a plastic case. It means high temperatures ever.
And of course, try to place the laptop on a support like books, cd cover or, if u can, a cooler pad for make it breath.
Cheers.
HP Recommended

I too have the same problem.  It's always running way to high and way too hot.  You can almost burn yourself if you touch the bottome of the laptop...sometimes even the top is hot.  I think this is a safety issue and should be addressed by HP.  I'm sure some of these units must have caught fire and killed someone by now.  Wow, did I ever waste a bunch of money on a pile of crap.  I'll never buy HP again...that is my promise.  No support, just leave you out there with a thousand dollar computer and do nothing to correct their obvious build problem.. 

HP Recommended

turn out i brought my laptop to geek squad and the hard drive went bad the cpu may be bad the graphics card went bad and the mother board might be warped all due to the fact of my first hard drive going out befor and the cpu might of got injured from the hard drive and wasnt running my fan correctly so fortunitly my geek squad extended warrenty was a great investment because other wise my computer is just a pile of scrap this is a serius issue how do you warp a mother board on a laptop from hp, well i think i just did 

HP Recommended

I have a dv7t with a quad-core i7 and it was also running very hot. I took it to my workshop and fired up the air compressor. Blew air in the back left exhaust vent. All kinds of dust flew out the intake. Blew the fan blades from the bottom. Problem completely gone; cool as a cucumber.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  I used tha can of air, and a vacuum. Laptop is running much cooler.

I also bought a 17 inch Lap Chill Mat- has 2 fans (USB Power) and good typing angle.

Not satisfied with HP answers. Laptop is only one year old - wanted me to send it to them.

HP Recommended

I have to agree.  They are crappy laptops.  I now tell everybody I know never buy an HP.  The machine runs fine, just sitting there doing nothing, but start watching vide on the internet and the machine starts to burn.  Eventually it shuts itself down.  The airflow for the laptop sucks. 

HP Recommended

My Pavilion dv7 is running over 65C (Speed Fan, Temp 1, GPU, Core 1, Core 2).

The fan and inlets are all clean.

The computer is only 2 years old and used maybe 10 hours a week.

Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.