Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 10 (337 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7t broken hinge

I have a HP Pavilion dv7t that has a broken hinge. It has slowly become a problem. First the screw fell out and we tried to replace it but it did not hold it tight enough. I have been very carefull with my laptop and I very rarely move it from its location in our house. Now I realize that my free support ended last week September 25th.  I wish I had looked into the problem sooner because I have been dealing with it for months.

I have seen the other posts and seen where some have tried to get this fixed and others have been sent a new laptop. What are my options at this point? Will it cost me to call support and ask what they recommend I do?

I am very disappointed in HP because I have up to now had great trust in this company and it's products.

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 10 (318 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7t broken hinge

Just got my Pavilion m6 back from HP, fixed hinges and screen at no cost to me. Laptop was out of warranty, but after a long phone conversation, HP finally decided to make it right. There are numerous people with this same issue. Let them know that. Good luck

Honor Student
Message 3 of 10 (314 Views)

Thank you, I will try calling support.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 10 (251 Views)

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my Pavilion dv7-7000 17" laptop where the hinges have caused the bottom plastic case that they mount on, to break and now the hinges are loose.  You mentioned about calling HP Support.  Is there a number I can contact?  I cannot find a way to call someone to discuss my options to get my laptop repaired.

Any guidance would be gratly appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 10 (248 Views)

@as2114

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 6 of 10 (133 Views)

I own a dv7t (select) laptop, purchased directly from HP in 2013 at a cost of $1,000.  And I too had a hinge failure in November 2015.  Since then, first I continued to use the laptop with the defective hinge for a few months, but at some point it seemed that continuing to open and close the laptop might cause the top part of the plastic case to break apart, so in the past couple of months I tried using the laptop mostly as a desktop, plugged into an external monitor, to avoid additional openings and closings.  But recently I needed to use the laptop as a laptop again, and the case was starting to separate more and more until I got a message that the fan was not working properly and the laptop will no longer start to prevent overheating.  It seems that the separating case might have disloged the fan.

Top Student
Message 7 of 10 (121 Views)

I now see many other threads that mention the DV7/DV7t (or more specifically, my model the DV7t-7200)--here are just a couple examples:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/dv7-Left-hinge-pulling-case-apa... (see message 19)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-DV7t-quad-edition-case-separ...

Top Student
Message 8 of 10 (109 Views)

Sad situation.  Currently own 3 HP laptops, 1 Compaq laptop and 1 Compaq desktop, but unfortunately, I will not buy another HP product again, as this expensive laptop was defective from the get go (with hinges not operating smoothly early on), and HP apparently does not stand behind their products.

Retired
Message 9 of 10 (108 Views)

@lionary

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works,this post has instructions.

I Work for HP
Top Student
Message 10 of 10 (74 Views)

Yes, HP did contact me to tell me that I am out of warranty, and on my own on this one.   I am left with a $1000 paperweight at this time.     

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation