Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-1300ev

Hello,

I own an HP Pavilion g6-1300ev (I know it's old) that I need to upgrade. I already installed an SSD but I am looking for some extra RAM.

I can see there is a single 4GB Ram from ADATA and that there is a second module position. The big question now is;

- should I drop the old ram and get a single 8GB?

- should I get another 4GB hope they see each other and run in dual channel? (Don't know if the board even supports it)

- should I get 2x4GB to make sure they are the same model to run in dual channel?

Edit: I have found a very simple spec page but there isn't much more info so I thought I'd ask.

note/edit: Gonna upgrade to windows 10 - Do you think the win 7 64bit drivers will work on win 10 pro 64bit?

note: can't enter the bios. is there even one? Should I change something before going dual channel (if supported)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It takes time for a moderator to approve the images we post.

I think the Mushkin memory you posted should work fine, but it is only going to run at 1333 MHz.

1333 MHz is the fastest speed your notebook's processor can run the memory at.

The 4 + 2 GB configuration in the manual...no doubt HP left off the 4 + 4 GB configuration in error.

If you can install 4 GB of memory in one slot, then you can install 4 GB of memory in the second slot.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The max memory your notebook supports is 2 x 4 GB of memory.

The processor and chipset support 2 x 8 GB of memory but the service manual indicates the max each slot can take is 4 GB.

It would be a gamble on your part to go with a single 8 GB chip.

2 x 4 GB of DDR3-1333 memory will run in dual channel mode.

Compatible memory should be plug and play.  No need to change any settings in the BIOS.

W10 should install all of the drivers for the hardware your PC comes with.

Hopefully the audio and wifi will work.

If your PC has the Atheros 3012 Bluetooth, I have a way to get that to work on W10.

Below is the link to the service manual.

c03094322 (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Thank you for the info. In the pdf you've given me I can see this:

direct link: https://i.postimg.cc/50YVk0pj/ram.png

Even though it says that it supports up to 8GB all I can see if I am not mistaking is 6GB.

4+2GB (Dual channel?)

4GB (Single channel?)

4GB (2x2 dual channel?)

2GB (single channel)

So from these:

my best and cheapest option seems to be first Mushkin 8GB DDR3-1600MHz (MAR3S160BT4GX2) since it is 1600mhz (that seem to be the highest clock for my chipset?). Am I right?

edit: Images won't show in the post. Don't know why.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It takes time for a moderator to approve the images we post.

I think the Mushkin memory you posted should work fine, but it is only going to run at 1333 MHz.

1333 MHz is the fastest speed your notebook's processor can run the memory at.

The 4 + 2 GB configuration in the manual...no doubt HP left off the 4 + 4 GB configuration in error.

If you can install 4 GB of memory in one slot, then you can install 4 GB of memory in the second slot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.