Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Britpowers
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP Pavilion with windows 10 will not play discs

HP Recommended
I tried installing a game on my hp pavilion and completed the installation process, but whenever I put the disc in the drive it won't read it. I get prompted and I click on "autorun" and then it sounds like the disc drive starts to run and read the disc but stops after a few seconds so that it won't play. I tried changing my settings so that all discs autorun. And I also checked the driver and it is up to date. I uninstalled it and then scanned and installed it again so there's nothing wrong with it. Please help, I don't know what else to do!
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,655 44,432 7,158 12,699
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can we have the model number? You should try booting the system from a bootable DVD. If you can do that, the problem is not the drive but a Windows setting of some sort. 

If the drive has gone bad, for most HP models replacement is not expensive or difficult. That is why we need the model number, to give you an exact part number. 

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hold down the SHIFT key while you insert the disk into the drive, and keep holding it down for 20 seconds.

Then, open "Computer".

Capture.JPG

Right-mouse-button-click on the 'D:' drive, and choose "Browse" to view the "root-directory" on the disk

Is there a 'autorun.inf' file? A 'setup.exe' file? An 'install.exe' file?

What happens when you double-click one of those files?

0 Kudos
Britpowers
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The model number is 17-G121WM. I will try the bootable DVD and let you know if there is any change. I don't think it is a driver problem- probably a windows setting like you said. It was able to read and install my disc but it just won't run it.
0 Kudos
Britpowers
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I do not see any of those files listed on the 😧 drive either
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I do not see any of those files listed on the 😧 drive either.

Do you see any files listed?

What are the names of the files?

0 Kudos
Britpowers
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The 😧 drive on my computer is actually "recovery" but I also checked the E: drive (which is my disc drive) and it didn't show any of those. I put in a DVD movie and it won't play the DVD. The names of the files on the game include a setup application which installs and uninstalls the game
0 Kudos
Britpowers
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I got it working, it was something to do with where the download destination was. I moved it to my desktop and it's now working. Thank you!!
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation