Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP x360 m1-u001dx 11.6"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking for detailed instructions on how to upgrade the RAM in the m1-u001dx 11.6" laptop.  I upgraded the hard drive to an SSD variety, but I did not find the memory stick to ugprade the RAM.  

The following video and website was helpful for a basic overview, but it appears to be for a different laptop configuration: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04179226

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The manual says

Support DDR4–2133 Dual Channel
Supports up to 16–GB maximum on–board system memory

DDR4–2133 Dual Channel Support

● 16384 MB (8192 MB × 2 pieces)

● 12288 MB (8192 MB + 4096 MB)

● 8192 MB (4096 MB × 2 pieces)

● 8192 MB (8192 MB × 1)

● 6144 MB (2048 MB + 4096 MB)

● 4096 MB (4096 MB × 1)

That means no slots for you to add. Your machine is 001, few other machines from 002 to 099 may have full on-board 16GB

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

The manual says

Support DDR4–2133 Dual Channel
Supports up to 16–GB maximum on–board system memory

DDR4–2133 Dual Channel Support

● 16384 MB (8192 MB × 2 pieces)

● 12288 MB (8192 MB + 4096 MB)

● 8192 MB (4096 MB × 2 pieces)

● 8192 MB (8192 MB × 1)

● 6144 MB (2048 MB + 4096 MB)

● 4096 MB (4096 MB × 1)

That means no slots for you to add. Your machine is 001, few other machines from 002 to 099 may have full on-board 16GB

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, I'd love to hear if you successfully installed the RAM module upgrade, as well as the guide you used to upgrade to an SSD. I am looking to make those exact same upgrades myself, and have been having a lot of trouble finding any support documentation for maintenance and service for our model (m1-u001dx).

Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

I found some guides from HP that helped show some of the internals of the laptop.  I didn't save them and I can't recall where they are anymore.  They didn't help much, but they did give me the confidence to start tearing it apart. 

The SSD hard drive upgrade is fairly easy.  The back of the laptop has screws underneath all of the pieces of rubber, as well as the plastic little center piece.  You have to use something to pry off all of the parts to see the screws.  

I bought an SSD card replacement kit from BestBuy that came with the cable for transferring the data from the old one to the new one. 

The laptop does have a memory stick that can be upgraded.  It is the most involved component to get to.  The memory stick is located underneath the motherboard.  You basically have to take the entire laptop apart to remove the motherboard.  

I enjoy doing stuff like that and didn't think it was too difficult, but I know that can be intimidating to some that have never done something like this before.  I do the work at a big table and place all the screws that I have removed next to me on the table in somewhat of the same layout as when they were in the laptop.  It helps me easily see where to put the screws back.  You also have to be delicate with lifting up all the tabs that lock in the cables for each component. 

HP Recommended
Ah, thanks for the info! I think I found the service guide for the m3-u000- models, which appear to have the same configuration as the m1 models. I guess I'll find out once I get in there haha. Are you satisfied with its functionality after your upgrades?
HP Recommended

It is definitely better with the SSD and 8g of RAM, but it is pushing the limits of the processor.  Most demanding applications or games would be better on a more capable computer.   The SSD drive is probably the better upgrade for daily computing like file management and using default programs. 

HP Recommended
Thanks very much!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.