Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion Laptop 15-cs0511sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavillion 15 Laptop, Internal Battery model.  Under warranty until 14th February 2020. Battery stops charging at 74%.  Tried all advised methods to get battery to charge above 74%, including driver uninstall, BIOS hardware checking of battery, including battery calibration but nothing seems to solve the problem.  I have seen others reporting the same fault. What is the solution ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sycos I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Sycos

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Did you try another charger?
  • Does the notebook shut down immediately (right after you unplug the charger)?
  • Do you get any error message on your notebook (Such as Plugged in, not charging, etc.)?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. If the issue persists, follow next steps.

Run hardware diagnostics test on battery and Charger:

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.
  5. To run both tests simultaneously, in the Component Tests menu, click Power Source, and then click Run once. Each component can also be tested individually.

AC Adapter Test:

The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter.

Follow these steps to perform the AC Adapter Test.

• In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click an AC Adapter Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • The AC Adapter Test begins.
  • When the test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

Battery Test:

Follow these steps to perform the Battery Test:

1. In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click Battery.
  2. Click Run once. The Battery Test begins.
  3. When the battery test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen. For additional battery information, click Battery Details.

If the test passes, continue with these steps:

1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.

2. Expand batteries.

3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.

4. Shut down the computer. 

5. Disconnect the charger.

6. Remove the battery.

7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.

8. Insert the battery only.

9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

If possible, try an alternate charger.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake,

sorry I have not got back to you for a day or two. Some of the tests take hours.

I have followed your instructions. Even done all the tests under BIOS. When I do the battery tests under BIOS, it reports about Calibration required. What is this ?

The only positive thing that I can report at the moment is that the battery now stops charging at 82% full, even though it reports on the task bar that it is "82% available,  plugged in, charging". I have been allowing the Laptop to run off battery until the battery is less than 15%, before plugging in the charger. The progress over a period of 3 days is that the battery stopped charging at 73%, then 76% on the second cycle, then 79% and now 84%. I will continue to cycle use of the battery to see if I can finally get the battery to fully charge.

Question:   Is it possible that the battery is fully charging, but simply reporting incorrectly  ??

regards,    Peter

HP Recommended

@Sycos,

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here we are now, having tried all suggested solutions and I have no battery at all.  0% available, plugged in not charging.

I would now like to have this problem corrected by an authorised repair agent. Please acknowledge this problem report and that it was started on 4th January 2020, within the warranty period, which ended on 14th February 2020. I expect that you will issue some kind of number to this reported problem with my Laptop, so that I can get this battery problem corrected under warranty.

I look forward to hearing from you.

HP Recommended

Here we are now, having tried all suggested solutions and I have no battery at all.  0% available, plugged in not charging.

I would now like to have this problem corrected by an authorised repair agent. Please acknowledge this problem report and that it was started on 4th January 2020, within the warranty period, which ended on 14th February 2020. I expect that you will issue some kind of number to this reported problem with my Laptop, so that I can get this battery problem corrected under warranty.

I look forward to hearing from you.

HP Recommended

@Sycos I need to know a few things, so help me, help you:

Have you ensured the battery was drained to 15% before you attempted to reseat the battery and reinstall the drivers?

Did you check with an alternate adapter and/or wall outlet?

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend (perform steps exactly as prescribed to resolve the issue)

• Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 
  • Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 
  • Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager, 
  • Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

If it doesn't,  Unplug for a few minutes, then try a different outlet. Unplug the laptop, wait a few minutes, then plug it into an outlet in a different room. Some users report that a laptop power adapter can temporarily stop working to protect itself from a perceived issue with the power supply.

• If your battery is removable, take it out while the power source is disconnected. Hold down the laptop's power button for two minutes, put the battery back in, and plug it into a new outlet.

Examine the cord. Examine the entire length of the power cord for tears, dents, and worn-down insulation. If you notice any, or if the power brick is warped or smells like burnt plastic, the cord is probably faulty. You'll need to purchase a new cord for your laptop.

• Check your warranty before replacing any parts. The cost may be covered under some circumstances

Inspect the connection. If the cord's attachment to your laptop wobbles or feels loose, there could be a problem with the connection. Unplug the cord, remove debris with a wooden toothpick, and remove heavy dust build-up with compressed air.

• Bent pins and other damage issues are model-specific. Take the laptop or cord to a computer repair shop. You can look up your model online for repair instructions, but this can be difficult without proper tools and may void the warranty.

Let the computer cool down. If your laptop battery feels very hot to the touch, excess heat could be interfering with the charging process. Shut down the computer and let it sit for several minutes to cool down. If you haven't cleaned your laptop vents recently, blow a can of compressed air into the fan vents at an angle, in short bursts, to remove some dust.

• Do not blow directly into the fan vents, only at an angle, or you could damage the fan.
  • If you are comfortable disassembling your laptop, you can use the compressed air to blow away internal dust directly. Look up a guide to disassembly for your model before you begin, and work on a large, clear surface. This will likely void your warranty.

Start up your laptop without a battery. Shut down the computer, remove the battery, and plug the computer in. If the computer won't turn on, you probably need a new cord.

• If you can start it up again in this situation, the charging issue is probably due to the battery itself, or your computer's interaction with the battery.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Riddle_Decipher,

1)  the laptop model HP Pavillion Laptop 15-cs0511sa has an internal battery which now has 0% charge, plugged in and not charging.
2)  I have two identical laptops and have tried both power adapters. The mains power has been checked.
3)  The laptop works with the adapter connected. Take out the adapter and the laptop just dies. There is no battery power at all.
4)  I have tried the component testing procedure from the F2 power-up procedure and it reports that the battery is faulty and needs to be replaced.

I need this problem resolved under warranty, since it has been a reported problem since 4th January 2020.

Please advise where my nearest repair center is in the UK.
HP Recommended

@Sycos I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.