Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I have an old beloved Probook 4540s Laptop Product Number C9K7OUT#ABA

I am an Embedded Engineer and I love this Laptop for it's Multiple I/O Options and Duel monitor capabilities.

This Laptop got the Screen Jitters then died with a white 9 Long blinks o 8long 1 short error code which I cannot find in the list of error codes.

It has an i3 core processor and runs Windows 7 Pro. I tore the thing apart and was thinking about fixing the existing system Board, but then I got the Idea of upgrading the System Board to an i7 board with dedicated 2 gig dedicated graphics.

The problem I see is that I no longer have the Windows activation code and I am thinking that Windows will not like the change.

I don't want to spend the money to upgrade it only to find that I have to also repurchase and reinstall Windows 7.

I would like to know what my options are, Just try and fix the existing i3 Board or upgrade an i7 System Board?

If I upgrade which System Board and i7 processor should I use, also will I have to replace the Heat Sink?

Thanks

Dwarf1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.