Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP Probook 4540s System Board Upgrade

HP Recommended
HP Probook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I have an old beloved Probook 4540s Laptop Product Number C9K7OUT#ABA

I am an Embedded Engineer and I love this Laptop for it's Multiple I/O Options and Duel monitor capabilities.

This Laptop got the Screen Jitters then died with a white 9 Long blinks o 8long 1 short error code which I cannot find in the list of error codes.

It has an i3 core processor and runs Windows 7 Pro. I tore the thing apart and was thinking about fixing the existing system Board, but then I got the Idea of upgrading the System Board to an i7 board with dedicated 2 gig dedicated graphics.

The problem I see is that I no longer have the Windows activation code and I am thinking that Windows will not like the change.

I don't want to spend the money to upgrade it only to find that I have to also repurchase and reinstall Windows 7.

I would like to know what my options are, Just try and fix the existing i3 Board or upgrade an i7 System Board?

If I upgrade which System Board and i7 processor should I use, also will I have to replace the Heat Sink?

Thanks

Dwarf1

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation