Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 16 (7,870 Views)

HP Revolve 810; Noisy Fan?

Even since I received the laptop a month or so ago I've noticed that the fan is nearly constantly running. Keep in mind that this is with very light web browsing usage at most times. Nothing very strenuous on the system. Doe anyone else notice this, or am I lucky enough to receive a model with an issue?

Student
Message 2 of 16 (7,734 Views)

Re: HP Revolve 810; Noisy Fan?

I have the same problem, the fan spins up very easily with light CPU loads. It is very annoying. My previous 2-year old laptop (also high-end enterprise laptop from another manufacturer) was virtually silent. I'm really frustrated by the poor quality of the HP fan. That's not what you expect in a high-end convertible laptop/tablet PC.

Student
Message 3 of 16 (7,706 Views)

Same here.  I've tried changing the power profile to "power saver" but the fan still runs almost continuously.  And all I'm doing is typing this comment.  CPU is showing about 0% and there's no other apps running in the foreground.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 16 (7,661 Views)

Unfortunately I've got the same problem. Just bought my Revolve 810 a few days ago and it's almost constantly blowing (as meantioned above, also when doing almost nothing). Isn't there any way to reduce it from spinning? Probably needed, but why is this device running so hot when idle'ing? :-(

Student
Message 5 of 16 (7,629 Views)

Unfortunately, I have the noisy fan issue as well.   It is extremely high pitched when it is at high RPM.   There does not seem to be a connection to CPU utilization, but certainly linked to the GPU,  Mine is as loud as a rocket ship when you run the Windows Experience Index Test, esp when the Direct3D tests are running.  I would be okay with intermittant fan use is it were more quiet, but when it turns on or changes RPM there is such a change in sound level.  ...lie turning on the radio and being startled.   it runs almost constantly   (even at 0 CPU), and the only way the fan stops for more than 1 minute is when you unplug it from the power and it clocks down I suppose.   I had the fan replaced.  no change at all.  I am depressed.   My first keyboard was faulty too.  two warranty issues in the first two weeks and I still cannot use the device due to noise.  sigh.  

Student
Message 6 of 16 (7,580 Views)

Same thing here. I hope there will be a solution soon.

Top Student
Message 7 of 16 (7,468 Views)

I had same problem with my brand new Revolve 810.  I finally called HP and had it sent in to the repair depot.  Left Friday night and back Tuesday morning.  They said they replaced defective fan.  Now it is very quiet and life is good again...

Student
Message 8 of 16 (7,456 Views)

I have purchased 5 units 2 weeks ago. 2 were OK even  hard and long CPU stress test. 3 others unfortunately are very noisy even set to powersaver. I think this is because Hp had to assemble to many units in a very short time. That is why they did dissociable fan.  I don't know what to do right know. My customer wait very long for them and now demands  me to fix them on the spot. Is there a chance to persuade Hp to send me 3 new fans so I can replace them myself. It is not the first time that Hp made me frustrated. Not so long time ago I've purchased 4 probook units. 2 of them arrived with video card broken. Maybe it is time to change the supplier  ...

Student
Message 9 of 16 (5,704 Views)

My quiet laptop was short lived.  Lasted maybe 3 weeks. I finally got around to shipping it back over Thanksgiving and they replaced the heatsink fan.  This time it came back just as loud as it shipped out.  I called and complained so they are going to have me ship it back again so the can check the thermals.

Honor Student
Message 10 of 16 (5,560 Views)

I've installed the BIOS update from last November, which has resolved this issue for most part. It's still not always as quiet as I would like to, but it's much better than before. So I can recommend everyone with this problem to install the latest BIOS update!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation