Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!
I bought the laptop above last Aug 2018. Lately, I have noticed that the underside plate or body is starting to expand. Specifically the panel in front of the touchpad and the panel beside the TAB key. I read somewhere that HP had a recall on batteries that are expanding. I download the utility tool from HP website and ran the diagnosis which resulted in no concerns with the battery. Just want to make sure that this is really the case as the expansion of the chassis below is quite concerning.

As for laptop usage, I regularly plug and unplug it. The laptop basically stays on the table and I don't really take this out at all.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Just an update. When fully charging the laptop, the max charge is only at 73% and the laptop shutdown as if there is no more battery at 21-23%. Sharing photos below of the undercover of the laptop starting to split from the upper body. 

IMG_20210108_115722_1.jpg

IMG_20210108_115659_1.jpg

IMG_20210108_115659_1.jpg

I went to HP Website: https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/en-US/
To download the battery recall utility tool and results seen below. Same time as the photos above were taken.

Battery Recall.PNG

Battery Health generated by Windows. Nov 2020 is when the bulging first starts to appear and just suddenly drops down fast by Jan 2021

Battery Health.PNG

HP Recommended

Latest update. As of Jan 10, 2020. Windows 10 says battery is charged 100% again but this time, when I unplug the laptop, it shut down as if no more battery is working. Battery report generated from Win 10 shows the battery is finally back up to 100% as of today: 

Battery.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @sherwino83,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.