Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15 dfxxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a problem with my screen on my HP Spectre x360 15. The problem was there all along from the time I bought the laptop. Used to be two vertical  blurry lines. After a couple of months, half of the screen is full of those blurry lines. I cannot clean them and it seems to be under the glass. When the device is turned off or the screen projects a dark image the lines are visible.

These are some photos that could help explain the problem.

20190615_131612.jpg20190615_131605.jpg

Thank you

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad to report that HP repaired mine under warranty with a brand new 4k screen. Happy with the repair, I believe the issue is thru no fault of your own, it's a manufacturing issue

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

So do you get color banding when the laptop is turned on and the screen has a colored background?

The picture frankly makes it look like some kind of chemical was placed on the screen in a grid shaped pattern which has eroded the screen coating. Could be on top of or under the glass, hard to say. 

HP Recommended

There is no color banding or anything that changes the color performance of the screen. Just blurry shadows. How is that possible? 

HP Recommended

Just what I said. Something dissolved the coating on the screen panel in a lined pattern. Ammonia or bleach-based cleaning products will do it. 

HP Recommended

Any idea how can I fix this?

HP Recommended

If it absolutely will not clean then the only "fix" is a screen replacement. Try isopropyl alcohol on a soft worn cloth like a very old tee shirt washed so much it is holey. 

HP Recommended

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the exact same issue with my HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0xxx...

It was delivered to me new and sealed in the box, and upon opening up - noticed the same lines on the screen (also on the left hand side). Almost like a chemical burn of sorts....

Product Number: 4CJ13AV

Serial Number: 5CD9180W8F

The stuff seems PART of the screen, not really in front or behind.. hard to explain. You can sort of 'feel' it when touched/rubbed from left to right using some materials (soft, cloth-like of course).

I havent really noticed any impact of the lines whilst the machine is ON, however, does still concern me/look terrible when it's off.

I haven't used it too much, under varied conditions - so it may be noticeable as the other report(s) have mentioned e.g. dark screens or scenes...

When the solution was marked "SOLVED", could anyone maybe please advise WHICH part of Huffers messages was the solution?

A) If it absolutely will not clean then the only "fix" is a screen replacement.

or

b)  Try isopropyl alcohol on a soft worn cloth like a very old tee shirt washed so much it is holey. 

Thanks in advance,

Dirk Kristen
South Africa
HP Recommended

HP refused to see the laptop. They watched some pictures and said that I caused the problem. The problem was there from the begining. Eventualy, the local store I bought it did a fine job cleaning the screen and the problem is nearly invisible. I am truly disappointed with HP as the didn't even examined their product. Try to get a screen replacement. If you don't get one, try to clean it with the products mentioned above and very little pressure on the screen. 

HP Recommended

Well,

as a relatively 'experienced' / long term and what I would consider loyal HP customer - I can say the issue you experienced was NOT due to anything YOU did - as, I know for 110% sure I did absolutely nothing to my laptop, and it was just like yours from the moment I took it out of the inner protective packaging, from out of the sealed and original box(es).

Going to try wipe it off with a cleaning agent, and will let everyone know the outcome here...

Cheers for the reply and PM, Alex!

Dirk Kristen
South Africa
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.