Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-aw0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought this from bestbuy.  on day one, the facial recognition worked great.  after it updated a ton of drivers and windows from windows update and the HP Support Assistant, i'm getting an error that say the camera could not start when trying to log in.  i removed windows hello facial recognition, and now i'm trying to set it up again.  when i click on it in the security menu, i now get an error that says "We couldn't find a camera compatible with windows hello face".  I have tried to run windows update again and there are no updates from there or HP support assistant.  I've also tried to update any drivers i can find in device manager but can't seem to find one that i can either roll back or update.  they are all current.  How do i fix this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @zambonidriver

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the Windows Hello issue.

Let's try these steps -

Solution 1 – Turn off Fast Startup -

1) Type "power options" in the Search box, and open Power Options.

2) Select "Choose what the power buttons do".

3) Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

4) Uncheck the checkbox next to "Fast Startup".

Solution 2 – Reinstall Windows Hello drivers -

1) Go to Search, type device manager, and open Device Manager.

2) Find your Windows Hello driver, right-click on it, and select Remove driver software….

3) Restart your computer.

4) One the next startup, Windows 10 should automatically detect Windows Hello, and install the latest driver for it.

5) Once Windows 10 installs the driver again, try running Windows Hello to see if the issue is resolved.

Solution 3 – Run Windows 10 Troubleshooter -

1) Go to Search, type troubleshooting, and open Troubleshooting.

2) Go to Hardware & sound section of the troubleshooter.

3) Now, click on Hardware & devices.

The troubleshooter will start, so wait for the process to finish, and follow further on-screen instructions.

4) If the troubleshooter found a problem with Windows Hello, it will automatically fix it.

5) Restart your computer.

You may also try these steps - HP PCs - Troubleshooting Windows Hello Face Recognition 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I turned off fast start and that did not work.  I also tried recovering a prior image of my PC through HP Recover and that did not work.

I don't see an option under IR Camera.  I do see a windows hello software device under Biometric Devices.  I uninstalled that device in device manager and restarted.  After restarting i did not see the device reinstall.  When i go into device manager, the windows hello device is NOT listed anymore, so it did not reinstall.  Is there a place on the HP support site that I can re-download the driver?

HP Recommended

@zambonidriver

May I have the exact model name of the computer? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

While you respond to that, you may try updating the computer using these steps -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Model number is HP Spectre X360 13-aw0013dx purchased from Best Buy.

I've already tried to update windows and using HP Support Assistant.  I'm very familiar with how to do that and it did nothing.  The driver for Windows Hello is clearly missing and I need to reinstall it.  When i try to turn on windows hello face it says the option is currently unavailable.  When i click on it says "we couldnt' find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face".

The camera worked fine until I did the HP support assistant updates.  That is the exact moment it stopped working.

HP Recommended

@zambonidriver

Try the scan -

1) Select Start, and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
2) Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/").
3) Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

and restart the computer. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.