Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae013dx

My HP Spectre x360 from late 2017 suddenly won't charge nor power on. Charging light is on but when pushing power button, it lights up but then turns off. No fan or display turns on. No sound either. Any suggestions?

HP Spectre X360 Late 2017

Model 13-ae013dx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks.

No issues.

Just troubleshoot.

For power to come on, the power LED must be lit, that shows that there is at least power to the battery charging circuit.  

The power led is also a diagnostic indication which says that the power adapter is OK.

Reseating the memory module(s) tests the possibility that a module has failed. A failed module will not let the notebook power on. 

If reseating the modules does not resolve the no powering on issue, the next logical step is to either inspect and repair the system board or to replace it.

Very few notebook owners have the knowledge or ability to repair their own system board. A laptop shop would recommend replacing the system board, unless you happen to go to a rare shop that actually effects component level repairs. Those shops do exist, but they are very rare.

Since a 2017 model notebook does not have very much current value in $$ since it is a non working unit, it may be time to consider sourcing a new or refurbished laptop to replace it.

You can still retrieve your important information from the laptop's hard disk or SSD, whichever the case might be, so don't toss the storage device. 

I hope this helps you decide what to do.

Once the memory module(s) have been tested by reseating in the DIMM slot and there is still no power on

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Did the battery that was installed happen to be the original one?

Was it getting to the point where useable power on battery was just a very short period of time?

Have you followed the Power troubleshooting guide?

If you haven't , consider giving it a try and let us know which steps you tried.

The Support portal for your notebook PC
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-spectre-13-ae000-x360-convertible-pc/16779579/model/18164678

Power issue troubleshooting

Laptop does not turn on when AC adapter is connected

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-spectre-13-ae000-x360-convertible-pc/16779579/model/18164678...

Battery does not power notebook or hold a charge

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-spectre-13-ae000-x360-convertible-pc/16779579/model/18164678...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The battery is original and in very good condition when used. Have followed the troubleshooting guide and had no success, still no sign of booting.

HP Recommended

The first thing to try is another compatible charger.

If the power/charge LED does not come on, that is an indication that either the power adapter has failed or there is a problem with the charging/power circuit in the notebook.

Another thing to consider is that it has between five and six years of use.  That is actually a decent service life.

There is a reason that mid and larger businesses replace their laptops at the five year mark.  

HP Recommended

The charger is original and charge LED does come on. Bought in 2018.

HP Recommended

Ok.
Take a look at the next thing I said in the troubleshooting sequence. 

System board component issues at four and five years plus are pretty common in the power circuit.

HP Recommended

What should be done in the search and what to look out for?

HP Recommended

I don't understand the "search" reference in your last post.

Can you rephrase the question?

Do you mean when inspecting the laptop's system board?

Since the battery charges, but the notebook does not turn on, you might try reseating the memory modules and trying them one at a time.  

If that has no effect, it means that there are problems in the power rail sections, perhaps a MOSFET or even a shorted or perhaps open trace in the laptop's system board.

HP Recommended

Rephrased: What are issues that I should search for?

HP Recommended

Thanks.

No issues.

Just troubleshoot.

For power to come on, the power LED must be lit, that shows that there is at least power to the battery charging circuit.  

The power led is also a diagnostic indication which says that the power adapter is OK.

Reseating the memory module(s) tests the possibility that a module has failed. A failed module will not let the notebook power on. 

If reseating the modules does not resolve the no powering on issue, the next logical step is to either inspect and repair the system board or to replace it.

Very few notebook owners have the knowledge or ability to repair their own system board. A laptop shop would recommend replacing the system board, unless you happen to go to a rare shop that actually effects component level repairs. Those shops do exist, but they are very rare.

Since a 2017 model notebook does not have very much current value in $$ since it is a non working unit, it may be time to consider sourcing a new or refurbished laptop to replace it.

You can still retrieve your important information from the laptop's hard disk or SSD, whichever the case might be, so don't toss the storage device. 

I hope this helps you decide what to do.

Once the memory module(s) have been tested by reseating in the DIMM slot and there is still no power on

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.