Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre X360 fan noise

HP Spectre X360 13-w013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I just picked up a refurbished HP Spectre X360, and I have a question about the fan noise.

My fan makes a whistling sound when it picks up speed.  It's normally not on, and only cranks under heavy load, but there's definitely a whistle.  I'm just wondering if this is normal or not.  I have the opportunity to return this unit if it's not normal, but so far it works really well.  I have no problem with "whooshing" or air blowing, but the whistle kind of stinks to hear.

Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
7797 7751 1471 2714
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It should not make whistling noise, although I have heard this sound looking at some videos on web. You could try using some compressed air in the air vents when PC is off and cold and see if it changes anything. You can get cans of compressed ait at electronics store. If this has no effect I would see if where it was refurbished is willing to change fan.

Hope it helps,

David

0 Kudos
sandwichNP Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you kindly for your response.  I'll try the canned air this evening then bring the thing for return tomorrow if it doesn't work out.  I appreciate the help, I just needed to know that this wasn't normal.  I think I'll quit with the whole refurb laptop thing at this point.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
7797 7751 1471 2714
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your welcome. I like refurbished laptops myself, however it does depend a lot who refurbishes them and what exactly refurbished means. Do they perform stress tests? Do they hear the whistling sound? I mean changing a fan while the laptop is being refurbished is a simple and cheap thing to do. I must say that since computers keep on getting thinner, the construction of adeguate fans is difficult. Many seem to loose the precise balancing over time and start making noise.

All the best,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if I answered your question

0 Kudos
sandwichNP Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Both of the ones I've had were HP certified refurbished.  The first one went back for the rattling trackpad and a bad key on the keyboard, this one has a whistling fan.  I didn't notice the whistle on the first one, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't there.

I got a great deal, and I could be tempted to just send it in for a fix (or even buy a fan myself if I were confident that was the issue), but it's easier to return at this point, sad though it may be.  I'll try the duster tonight.

0 Kudos
sandwichNP Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Whelp, tried the canned air and got no dust out.  Still sounds like a jet turbine.  Shame because the rest of the computer is as good as they say.  I'm guessing it's just a bearing inside the fan, it's just a high pitched whine.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation