Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch004no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi/help!

My right-hand fan of my HP Spectre laptop (HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch004no), has started to make some very concerning sounds, starting one month ago. At first it sounded like a minor rattle, but now it sounds like a full-blown motorbike, which worries me, since I have not even had this computer for a year yet, and have still 2 months left of the warranty.

Would opening up the laptop to have a look or possibly disconnect the fan void this warranty? Also, are there any places where I could repair this as soon as possible, as I am currently writing my thesis, and need a reliable laptop for this purpose, preferably where I would not disturb others with this racket. Alternatively, as I have some knowledge of computer building, would sending a replacement right-hand fan that I can replace be an option?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@BeonXVI,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you are looking to get the fan replaced, I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with tech support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

I had spoken to one of HP's customer representatives and spoken was adviced to update the BIOS from AMI F.25 to 30, which I did. No difference. I was told that I could open the device and as long as I did not damage any of the components it would still be under warranty, so I did. While I was on the inside, I cleared out the fans using a tiny brush and pressuried air, still grinding and rattling. The noise was so worringly loud that I decided to disconnect the fan altogether, and now the laptop is running solely on one fan.

It is simply the right hand fan that is broken, which I could easily repair myself if sent the replacement part, but I have been told that this is not so straightfoward. The only option I was given was that I would need to send in the laptop taking a 7-10 days to repair, with the possibility that they might have to wipe everything of my laptop.. to replace a fan. As I am currently writing my thesis, that sounds less than ideal.

For a laptop that cost me 2.000£, I thought it would be somewhat easier. Do I need to buy the replacement fan myself?

HP Recommended

@BeonXVI

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi.

Still waiting for advice on what I could do in this regard.

I have approx. 1 month left of the warranty, however I do not wish for my personal files on my computer to be wiped clean just for a simple fan replacement. Is it not possible to send a replacement fan (See attached image), or advice on where I could buy one?20190514_150734.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have contacted HP on the phone today, and made arrangements for the laptop to be collected for repairs on Wednesday. So, I was now preparing the backup of my files to an external hard drive.

However, HELP.

The laptop is now completely DEAD. The laptop will not power up whatsoever and gives no signs of life. I have tried holding down the power button for 5, 10 and 15 minutes, with and without power connection, and leaving it to charge for a couple of hours and coming back to it. Nothing. There is not even lighting up when the power is connected..

I did manage to transfer most of the files before leaving the studio today, but was hoping to complete the backup when I got back home. Is there any way to power up the computer to backup the rest, or do I just have to wait until collection on Wednesday? 

I have contacted HP on the phone today, and made arrangements for the laptop to be collected for repairs on Wednesday. So, I was now preparing the backup of my files to an external hard drive.

However, HELP.

The laptop is now completely DEAD. The laptop will not power up whatsoever and gives no signs of life. I have tried holding down the power button for 5, 10 and 15 minutes, with and without power connection, and leaving it to charge for a couple of hours and coming back to it. Nothing. There is not even lighting up when the power is connected..

I did manage to transfer most of the files before leaving the studio today, but was hoping to complete the backup when I got back home. Is there any way to power up the computer to backup the rest, or do I just have to wait until collection on Wednesday? 

HP Recommended

Seems to have gone from a bad situation to a terrible one. You know how to open it. I would pull and retain the hard drive and put a blank hard drive in place of it just for service purposes. I just am not sure how HP is going to view the death of the patient on the operating table so I wish you the best of luck with this. 

Unfortunately you have a PCIe/NVME 512 gb M.2 SSD as the main storage drive and these are expensive and not widely available. I do know Best Buy usually has them in stock but you are looking at like $150. I would suggest pulling the drive and using a USB adapter caddy as a cheaper option.

Well prices have come down I am happy to see. Still not cheap but now eligible for next day shipping on amazon prime so you could get it tomorrow or Wednesday and use it to back up your NVME M.2 SSD:

https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Enclosure-Adapter-Included-Samsung/dp/B07J9WNN9H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywor...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer.

Luckily before the computer broke down, I made a clone of the SSD to another Nvme SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, bit expensive, but oh well) which will replace the 500GB one, together with a small enclosure as you suggested,  as well as the full backup on a regular HHD, just before the the laptop gave up. Luckily the original SSD on the laptop was untouched upon return, so I have two copies then!

As to HP: I received the laptop earlier today, thank you very much for the repair. I was worried about the time, but I am pleasantly surprised of how quick the repair went, from collection to return. Laptop is running quietly and cool, and back in business. You have a happy customer here.

Kind regards,

Bjørn.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.